Hello from Toronto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crush

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a CCK large cleaver and a Shun Classic. I'm not happy with either and want something like a Usuba so decided to come here for research to learn what I need to sharpen and such.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Knut House! All you need is a cement block and a hunk of cardboard. :newhere:

Welcome, I too have a large CCK which is nice other than the quality of the steel:scratchhead:

You will find plenty of helpful advice here,

Cheers!

Hi - I'm from TO too. Well, sorta...

You will find plenty of helpful advice here, Cheers!

Absolutely, and lots of confusing advice too ;)

This kind of stuff is good and helpful

Hi!

I have a CCK large cleaver and a Shun Classic. I'm not happy with either and want something like a Usuba so decided to come here for research to learn what I need to sharpen and such.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums.

To get started in sharpening, the minimum equipment you will need is a waterstone of medium grit (1000 or 1200), and something to use to keep it flat, such as 120 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a flat floor tile. As you learn how to sharpen, you will probably add a fine grit stone (5000 or 6000)for polishing the edge and a coarse grit stone (400 or 500) for repairs or thinning.

Jon Broida of Japanese Knife Imports has put together a great library of sharpening videos, and they are located here:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/media

A usuba is a pretty specialized single-bevel traditional Japanese knife that takes months to learn how to use. Perhaps you were thinking of a nakiri, which has the same general profile as a usuba but is double-beveled?

Rick

A usuba is a pretty specialized single-bevel traditional Japanese knife that takes months to learn how to use. Perhaps you were thinking of a nakiri, which has the same general profile as a usuba but is double-beveled?Rick

Hi Rick. Can you elablorate on this? 'Months to learn' - why? :wink:

Back