Wildfire cutlery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbochef422

Reaction score
A cook I know wants to sell a chef knife to me does anyone know anything about this maker. I know it's carbon which is a start.

Many of them look almost like pure Kramer ripoffs, it says he's a "master blade smith" (but no credentials are posted, so i assume it's not a real master bladesmith title, like one that Kramer has)
And the prices are very low for a custom knife.. i wouldn't buy one, but i haven't used one and i'm just going by what i sense looking at the page.

You have the option of feeling the knife in your hand, so you might get a pleasant surprise. Or it might be pakistani damascus, can go either way

I had the unfortunate experience of actually paying good money for one. Tell him you'll take it only if he pays you $10 for the aggravation it will cause you trying to put a decent edge on it.

Rick

Never tried one, but every thread I have read since I got involved with the forums 3 years ago has been strong don't buy for Wildfire. I will stick with that advice.

They do or at least used to sell them in Dean and Deluca in Lower Manhattan. Wildfire made his rep. with a few media mentions in NYC pubs kind of like Krammer did. I have a Thai chef knife from him but never developed any love for it.

My chef knife had what I think of as a "chisel grind".

I got one as a project knife, reprofiled it, thinned it, tweaked the handle and it's still crap. I hate being so negative about anyone's product, but it was something else.
I swear it was HT'd in an easybake oven.

well i have a Thai Cleaver i bought years ago and there are too many problems to go through here .

I own one. It is awful. Doesnt sharpen well, cuts like crap, it's just bad.... Mine is rusty because all its good for is chopping bamboo in my yard and I left it outside....

Honestly, it's a piece of sheet metal with an edge ground on it. No taper, just an edge. The heat treatment feels like there isn't one.

-Chuck

:disdain:least you found a use for yours.

Back