Kramer Knife Auction

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew H

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial
Reaction score
Anyone else get the email? One will be auctioned off starting tomorrow at 12:00pm western and going until Wednesday at 12:00pm western.
http://kramerknives.com/auction_about.htm
10" Chef Psychedelic Damascus

So.. what's the betting?

Cut out those insane eBay fees :scared1:
I'm saying 18k

Someone could get a bargain. It is only up for 24 hours starting tomorrow.

It is a real looker, but I am going low ball it and say 12k.:headbang:

Hmmm, I didn't receive the e-mail. I wouldn't be surprised if he removed me.

Most people who bid on Bob's Ebay auctions were probably on Bob's mailing list anyway, so it doesn't matter if it's 7 day or 1 day auction, now that it is established what the last set sold for. I think people will be prepared to go all the way if they want the knife.

M

I did not get an email either:slaphead:

It's an auction. It should go to the highest bidder. If I'm not mistaken, is 12k and 18k 12 & $18,000? Then go with Nenohi. KDX steel. 2.5x harder then honyaki. Hardest stainless steel on planet. Only $20,000 per blade. Heehee:ninja:

I think today's auction piece will go for at least $20,000.00. Like him or not, he just got a few lucky breaks, and took advantage of them. He is a good craftsman, and the breaks have required him to become a good businessman as well. The two don't often go hand in hand. I think it would be fun to sit around and drink a few beers and eat a few tacos with the guy. Your names might have been removed from his mailing list once you bought a knife, at least that's my understanding, even if you sold it later.

A few points here. First, there are few doubts that Bob is as good a businessman as he is a craftsman. Second, custom kitchen knife makers have to admit that Bob Kramer raised a profile for kitchen knives for everybody. When his knives sell for 20K, a knife under 1K seems like a steal.

So, if he can sell at those prices, good for him and good for everybody else who makes custom kitchen knives.

And for those who can't afford Kramer's knives, there are (and will soon be) plenty of alternatives for a fraction of a cost. The pie is tempting.

M

It's an auction. It should go to the highest bidder. If I'm not mistaken, is 12k and 18k 12 & $18,000? Then go with Nenohi. KDX steel. 2.5x harder then honyaki. Hardest stainless steel on planet. Only $20,000 per blade. Heehee:ninja:

As the HRC scale is logarithmic, which means that an increase of 3 HRC points is a double in hardness, and a 2.5x increase is approximately equal to an increase from 62 to 66 HRC. Or from HRC 64 to 68 :eek:
Good luck sharpening that one :D

DarkHOeK

A few points here. First, there are few doubts that Bob is as good a businessman as he is a craftsman. Second, custom kitchen knife makers have to admit that Bob Kramer raised a profile for kitchen knives for everybody. When his knives sell for 20K, a knife under 1K seems like a steal.

So, if he can sell at those prices, good for him and good for everybody else who makes custom kitchen knives.

And for those who can't afford Kramer's knives, there are (and will soon be) plenty of alternatives for a fraction of a cost. The pie is tempting.

M

+1! The worst thing would be for it to end up like Pho Shops...someone started selling mammoth tubs of soup with fresh veggies and slow-cooked broth for $4, and now $7 is expensive.

People really should invest in their knives anyways. If you do it right, you will probably only buy one(unless you are one of us).

Can someone post a pic of the knife and saya? I can't see them and don't feel like registering for an auction I'm never going to bid on...

Here is the shot with the saya:

sheathsm.jpg

Description from the post:

The Handle & Sheath

The handle and sheath were cut from the same board of Rosewood from Central America. Cocobolo has been an industry standard for over 200 years in high-end cutlery, and is Bob's first choice of wood because it is very hard, naturally high in oils, and has an interwoven grain, giving it strength and stability. The capture pin for the sheath is made of mammoth ivory.

Here is the shot with the saya:

sheathsm.jpg

Description from the post:

The Handle & Sheath

The handle and sheath were cut from the same board of Rosewood from Central America. Cocobolo has been an industry standard for over 200 years in high-end cutlery, and is Bob's first choice of wood because it is very hard, naturally high in oils, and has an interwoven grain, giving it strength and stability. The capture pin for the sheath is made of mammoth ivory.

Looks good.

Any change in bidding price?

Back