Quantcast
Kramer Knife Auction - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 97

Thread: Kramer Knife Auction

  1. #71
    price is all in the eye of the beholder.....i owned a knife by michael rader once.....used it ...beat the hell out of it....i paid over his asking price from a dealer at the time(which i didn't know-thought it was priced the same).....had it refinished.....and then sold it for almnost double the marked up price.....crazy?.....hell yeah.....but i'd do it again.....i have bought a nife that butch made someone was selling on another forum.....sent it to him to fix up and sold it on a second forum for even more.......price is all in the eye of the beholder.....ryan

  2. #72
    Delbert Ealy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indian River, MI Just under The Bridge
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Mr. Ealy,
    Your name is a hot topic within the forums as of late; I am sure you will receive your much needed "bump", as your blades will become a hot commodity. Good luck!
    I enjoyed Salty's review, and the knife looked awesome!

    Thanks,
    I am one of those recent to the world of kitchen knives and I am happy to join it.

    Laminated metals specialist, Kitchen knife and gadget maker
    www.ealyknives.com
    www.mokume-jewelry.net
    "Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

  3. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    From my perspective I'm simply fascinated on how this whole thing has taken off for Bob. It's really something extremely unique in the world that he works in, exceptional really. I'm OK with Bob getting what he can for his work because one day he won't be able to do it (we all get old) and hopefully this can carry him through those golden years, the rest of the world's knifemakers surely won't be that lucky.
    I really think that it has something to do with Todd Oppenheimer. Not only did he do a very thorough article, and published it in the WSJ, but it was subsequently disseminated through every scholarly and professional channel--when I was looking for sources for a speech course I was taking that wasn't just BS ad copy from Henckels or absurd advice from some store clerk, "Sharper" By Todd Oppenheimer was the only thing I found. And I have seen it quoted countless times since. Good journalist, Bob scored bigtime doing that interview.

    Paul Reed Smith was just a guy making good quality guitars until he managed to give one to Carlos Santana. Now a PRS runs 3-6 grand.

  4. #74

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westchester NY
    Posts
    83
    Ever since I read this last night I have not gotten it out of my head... To me it says a lot when a guy like salty says the knife 'was truly a masterpiece, possibly the best knife i ever owned"... For me not that I would ever buy it but it would be about owning one of the best knifes in the world. Maybe thats why somebody wants to own a Kramer, even if there are knives that are so almost close to on par, if his really are that good theres a reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    It's a status symbol.
    My second Kramer was truly a masterpiece, possibly the "best" knife I ever owned. However, I recognized it was over valued and because it wasn't the knife I really wanted I sold it. No regrets.

    If he keeps working it right that bubble may not burst for a while. Although there are a lot of knifemakers that are closing-in fast.

  5. #75
    Senior Member Salty dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Caledonia
    Posts
    1,891
    To be honest one of Bob Kramer's biggest contributions to the knife community it raising the awareness among knifemakers about kitchen knives. I don't think it's accidental that knifemakers are starting to look at kitchen knives as a viable way of expressing themselves and making money. He also has placed the bar pretty high. So in the grand scheme of things he's played a very important roll in all our futures.

  6. #76
    Senior Member Cadillac J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    621
    I think Kramer makes very cool-looking knives, but they just aren't for me--even if I could afford one. I just don't like the profile at all.

    Would be nice if some of the other makers could get that kind of coin for their hard work someday, but then they would be out of reach for the majority of the community that really appreciates them...it seems like a win-lose situation if looking at it this way.

  7. #77
    Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,044
    First real post here. As someone with two Kramers, a damascus and straight steel, I feel I have some perspective to add. First, I find his knives very comfortable, excellent performers, and gorgeous to look at. I also get a kick out of telling my non-knife friends how much I paid for them (actually, a huge bargain at current prices...try to convince them of that is another topic). Second, I use my Pierre Rodriguez, Carter(s), Harner, Nenox, and Watanabe just as much. Third, I was lucky to get on his list before he truly started blowing up. I still waited 3 years, to which I refuse to complain about. I've waited just as long for other makers that are not nearly as famous. Fourth, at current prices and wait, I would never buy them again. Bob raised the bar and current makers are following suit. Good for them! There are true masterpieces made by non-Bob's that I certainly wouldn't call a bargain, but compared to Kramer they are. Fifth, anyone that has ever had contact with Bob Kramer knows what a fascinating man, concerned craftsman, and good human being he is. There isn't a better compliment I can give than the latter. Sixth, if you have a problem with the way Bob does business, you should move to a socialist nation, you would fit right in. Seventh, I am holding on to my Kramers because I really like them; they fit into my food lifestyle and passion. I also made a promise to Bob not to sell. I'm nothing without my word. I've spent money on a lot of crap I can't remember, no longer have, and never really enjoyed when I had it. Can't say that with these.

    So in a way, Bob and I are alike. We both had good timing. Him...his business, me...ordering when I did, and having the money on hand.

    Hey Marko, you are borrowing one of mine now, what do you think?

  8. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    ...

    Hey Marko, you are borrowing one of mine now, what do you think?
    It's a very good knife. I like the geometry better than the profile. My personal preference is a flatter profile as I push-cut and almost do no rocking.

    Finish on the knife is excellent, the handle, although massive, is a top notch quality. I could not find any faults with this knife, as expected. I only cut two apples with it, but the impression is positive. Height and weight made cutting effortless.

    So, I am going to do ai comparison cutting - side-by-side Carter, Kramer and Shigefusa. Will probably cut sweet potato or regular potato. Curious how these knvies will compare.

    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  9. #79
    Senior Member
    Chef Niloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Long island NY
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverHaze420 View Post
    Ever since I read this last night I have not gotten it out of my head... To me it says a lot when a guy like salty says the knife 'was truly a masterpiece, possibly the best knife i ever owned"... For me not that I would ever buy it but it would be about owning one of the best knifes in the world. Maybe thats why somebody wants to own a Kramer, even if there are knives that are so almost close to on par, if his really are that good theres a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    First real post here. As someone with two Kramers, a damascus and straight steel, I feel I have some perspective to add. First, I find his knives very comfortable, excellent performers, and gorgeous to look at. I also get a kick out of telling my non-knife friends how much I paid for them (actually, a huge bargain at current prices...try to convince them of that is another topic). Second, I use my Pierre Rodriguez, Carter(s), Harner, Nenox, and Watanabe just as much. Third, I was lucky to get on his list before he truly started blowing up. I still waited 3 years, to which I refuse to complain about. I've waited just as long for other makers that are not nearly as famous. Fourth, at current prices and wait, I would never buy them again. Bob raised the bar and current makers are following suit. Good for them! There are true masterpieces made by non-Bob's that I certainly wouldn't call a bargain, but compared to Kramer they are. Fifth, anyone that has ever had contact with Bob Kramer knows what a fascinating man, concerned craftsman, and good human being he is. There isn't a better compliment I can give than the latter. Sixth, if you have a problem with the way Bob does business, you should move to a socialist nation, you would fit right in. Seventh, I am holding on to my Kramers because I really like them; they fit into my food lifestyle and passion. I also made a promise to Bob not to sell. I'm nothing without my word. I've spent money on a lot of crap I can't remember, no longer have, and never really enjoyed when I had it. Can't say that with these.

    So in a way, Bob and I are alike. We both had good timing. Him...his business, me...ordering when I did, and having the money on hand.

    Hey Marko, you are borrowing one of mine now, what do you think?


    Just wait till you get your hands on one of Bills knives. I hired a swimsuit modle to follow me around holding them for me. Every were we go people look point and say Wow look at the set on that one.:biggrin2:

  10. #80
    Senior Member Salty dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Caledonia
    Posts
    1,891
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    First real post here. As someone with two Kramers, a damascus and straight steel, I feel I have some perspective to add. First, I find his knives very comfortable, excellent performers, and gorgeous to look at. I also get a kick out of telling my non-knife friends how much I paid for them (actually, a huge bargain at current prices...try to convince them of that is another topic). Second, I use my Pierre Rodriguez, Carter(s), Harner, Nenox, and Watanabe just as much. Third, I was lucky to get on his list before he truly started blowing up. I still waited 3 years, to which I refuse to complain about. I've waited just as long for other makers that are not nearly as famous. Fourth, at current prices and wait, I would never buy them again. Bob raised the bar and current makers are following suit. Good for them! There are true masterpieces made by non-Bob's that I certainly wouldn't call a bargain, but compared to Kramer they are. Fifth, anyone that has ever had contact with Bob Kramer knows what a fascinating man, concerned craftsman, and good human being he is. There isn't a better compliment I can give than the latter. Sixth, if you have a problem with the way Bob does business, you should move to a socialist nation, you would fit right in. Seventh, I am holding on to my Kramers because I really like them; they fit into my food lifestyle and passion. I also made a promise to Bob not to sell. I'm nothing without my word. I've spent money on a lot of crap I can't remember, no longer have, and never really enjoyed when I had it. Can't say that with these.

    So in a way, Bob and I are alike. We both had good timing. Him...his business, me...ordering when I did, and having the money on hand.

    Hey Marko, you are borrowing one of mine now, what do you think?
    I had a different experience. Great knife though. (the second one) And I think it's bull$hit to have to promise not to sell it. What's the purpose in that? Socialist nation? How about freedom of choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •