Quantcast
Kramer Knife Auction - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Kramer Knife Auction

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It's a very good knife. I like the geometry better than the profile. My personal preference is a flatter profile as I push-cut and almost do no rocking.

Finish on the knife is excellent, the handle, although massive, is a top notch quality. I could not find any faults with this knife, as expected. I only cut two apples with it, but the impression is positive. Height and weight made cutting effortless.

So, I am going to do ai comparison cutting - side-by-side Carter, Kramer and Shigefusa. Will probably cut sweet potato or regular potato. Curious how these knvies will compare.

M
    How about a post on your results,that's a nice trio of blade right there.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    I will post my impressions, but mind you, to do a detailed comparison, you need to sharpen all knives to the same level and do a bit more cutting than just a potato. This will be very superficial test, to judge the geometry.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    I have all 3 of those knives as well,I would like to throw Heiji and Bill in to that list.
    I would say the Burke, Carter, and Kramer all cut alike. Think and Shigefusa cut just as well but different as the blades are thicker, for me I like a thinner blade in a chef knife so for this post I will cut them out now leaving just the US makers.
    Carter out of the box has a very sharp but I would say aggressive cut. It dulls quicker then the others and is the only knife out of these makers that I have had a chipping issue with the blade. All the ones I have had have chipped and rather big chips at that. His level of blade finish if fine by me but also at the bottom of the list of these makers. His handles (even pro line) put his level of finish way down on any list of mine. Must note here that Carter knife is more then half the price of the other two US makers listed here. I have had good experiences with my dealings with Mr. Carter and Bad so he falls last on the list in that regard as well. I will say that he stands behind his work 100% and conducts his business in a professional maner, at lest in my dealings with him. I was not happy with the 1st cleaver he made me and he made me a new one and had it to me in less then two weeks he is the only maker I can say that about. Will also add that the problem with the cleaver was in my part by not explaining what I wanted well enough at first.

Bob Kramer is one of the nicest persons I have ever met. He hand delivered the knife to me and we sat down and talked for hours. There was a old post on the other bored that Bob read wrong ( not my post) and thought that I had a complaint with the way he did business, Bob called me that night to talk about it.
    I for one love the handle Bob makes, find it very comfortable. It's BIG but the knife is perfectly balanced and light as a feather. The knife cuts amazingly, only way to describe it is "just right" I would note that the knives I have gotten from Butch have kind of the same feel when cutting with them.

Bill Burke as most if you may know makes IMO the best knife I have ever held. It might not be fair that I compare the level of finish with that of Bobs as Bills was custom to me from start to finish. But in all honesty while I love the look of my Burke the most out of every knife I own I will acutely give the final vote to Bob as for level of finish. Bills knife cuts the best and longest out of every knife I have ever owned. One has to try to dull it. I would say that even under heavy home use the knife would never need anything more then a stropping from time to time. As a heavy pro knife it has only hit my stones two times in almost three years. Bills knife cuts "different" then any other knife I have ever used and I will say I like the way it cuts the best also, I have described it as cutting with a sharp piece of glass. I still don't know what gives his knife that quality as both him and Bobs are made of 52100, I also have servile other knives made from 52100 and none of them have that glass like feeling I'm describing.
    I would still like to run a Hoss custom in a side by side test with these knives but I have all but given up hope of ever having one as I have been on his list for a long long time now ( longer then Bobs), but hay I may one day get one.
    In closing I will say that I think the "great" US makers are one notch above the great Japanese makers, but that's just my option.

The three knives I will compare have different geometry and profiles (Kramer has very different profile from the other two). I am not going to do enough cutting to do in depth analysis (that would require sharpening them to the same level and do way more cutting than one potato). It is just to confirm (or dismiss) how each knife should perform as I think it should.

I have Yoshikane gyuto, Heiji is very similarly ground so the performance-wise should be similar (actually, Yoshi I have is thinner). Haven't seen Bill's knife up-close yet, but will be making a saya for one soon.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Colin:

Have you got your Bill Burke Gyuto?
    You only have a 270 suji right?

Now I just want a Burke more than ever!!!!!
    Here you concluded that Kramer got the best knife?
    http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh.../post/2082912/

And Colin: PLEASE buy a camera! You know the rule

Colin's Burke suji is one of my favorite knives on the forum.

It isn't sexy...but it just looks like a complete badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Colin's Burke suji is one of my favorite knives on the forum.

It isn't sexy...but it just looks like a complete badass.
    One of my favorite knives as well. However I believe it combines sexy, badass and natural beauty. It his knives is like a mix between Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron and Megan Fox

As someone who's relatively new to the artisan side of the knife world, I find this discussion utterly fascinating. I'm a huge cyclist, and avid follower of a number of high-end custom framebuilders out there, many of whom see the same sort of discussion that Mr. Kramer's output seems to have -- long waitlists, prices higher than competitors who offer similar bicycles at lower prices or less wait. In the end, people are paying for the mojo/flavor/idea of whomever the artisan is that's making the object in question (be it a knife, a guitar, a bike frame, what have you) rather than paying for purely the functional "worth" of the given thing. I love conceptually that there are certain builders/makers out there that can make a great living by being at the peak of their powers, hype or not... the frenzy can sometimes be distasteful, but there's always going to be favorites in any given hobby.

The 270mm chef knife to match the Suji, I posted pic's you must have been sleeping