What knife set to buy? Need help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danman421

Reaction score
Hi guys, well I am obviously new here and need some help. I have been dealing with a Chicago Cutlery set for the past couple of years and want a nice set of kitchen knives. I just got married and we registered at Bed Bath and Beyond as well as Belk. Well they do not have any knifes I wanted so I just registered for some expensive ones, we will return them and use the money to help buy a nice set.

A little about what I am looking for then ill answer the questions you guys want to hear. I just want a good set of knives that is going to last us for years to come, I deeply appreciate and understand the concept of buying quality and taking care of it! I dont need TOP of the line I just want quality and something that will take a nice edge.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
- A standard "Kitchen Set". Not exactly sure what I want but I need a bread knife, something for cutting veggies (I usually use the larger of the knives in my set, etc. Basically an all encompassing set. I also need a few steak knives.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
- Yes I am replacing a cheaper set I have.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- They fit in my hand well, look ok and work ok. I have found occasionally I need different knives but cannot remember exactly when.
Edge Quality/Retention- They do not hold an edge too well.
Ease of Use- Pretty easy to use.
Comfort- They work for me but I want to upgrade.

What grip do you use?
- Not sure of the term but usually grab it with my hand and index finger pointing down the back of the knife.

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
- Chopping and slicing depending on the task

Where do you store them?
- In the block that came with the set but want to move to the magnetic holders.

Have you ever oiled a handle?
- No I have not, they are black plastic handles.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
- Wooden (not sure of type but not bamboo) and plastic

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
- Honing rod for these and nothing else. I will eventually purchase some sharpening supplies. I usually carry a knife on me at all times and I take it to a guy that keeps a nice edge on my every day knives so I will sharpen, hone and strop these.

Have they ever been sharpened?
No, I just want a new set that will last me a long time.

What is your budget?
No set budget, I was figuring 300 or so depending. Not set, what should I look at spending.

What do you cook and how often?
A lot of fish (I live at the coast and fish a lot), a lot of meats and vegetables.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
Nope

+1 on both points.

Speaking of Jon at JKI, I just received my second Gengetsu. If it's within your budget I highly recommend that as a primary gyuto.

Forget the set. Get a Good gyuto first then fill in the blanks. Cut a lot of fish? Maybe get a nice 180mm deba. Chicken and other poultry or tenderloins? 150mm Honesuki, gokujo or maybe a 150mm petty or both. Just definitely don't get a set. Couple of follow up questions. How do you feel about carbon knives and how about single bevel knives as well?

Back