Thread: Sustainable Seafood Info

Sustainable Seafood Info

Hello all,

I'm trying to do some research on sustainable seafood but I'm finding that its difficult to wade through a lot of B.S. to get to the real guidelines and useful information. Has anyone done any research on this topic and if so do you have any books/websites to recommend?

Thus far I've found the only useful info on websites of Monterrey Bay Aquarium and Greenpeace.
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

monterrey bay is decent and i will email my friend who recently retired from the federal govt salt water fisheries. last time i asked him for info he included monterrey on the list.. will post his reply when i get it .. it may be somewhere on this forum already [or on greeneggers.com] he is currently consulting about clams.. " hi i am a clam consultant "
    lcb

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I'm waiting on a buddy to send me some info so I can pass it on to you. I do some commercial spearfishing out of the Tampa Bay area and it really is a great way to produce a great product that's sustainable. Fresh grouper, hogfish, and snapper all collected with no by-catch due to using experienced shooters who can pick and choose the legal and quality fish. The fish are managed by seasons and quota.

I will pass the info on once I have it and feel free to contact me or my friend who runs it. The fish are tagged with a tracking number and will have a brief history to them as to when/where they were caught. The tag will also allow you to track your fish straight to your restaurant.

Steelcity, that sounds awesome. Let me know when you have the info on it. Is there a website? I haven't heard too much in the way of spearfishing. How efficient/cost effective is the practice? Looking forward to reading about it!
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    This sounds cool steelcity.
    Chewie's the man.

Sorry for not getting back to you guys. I was traveling from Tampa to North Dakota yesterday. I'm up here for two week for work. Here is a link to give you guys some more info (http://mygulfwild.com/). My buddy is still putting his personal site together but this is the program that he's involved in. I believe he's already shipping to restaurants in Atlanta and possibly Denver. Take a look over the program and let me know what you think.

One of our very good friends is working at Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA... I remember that they have (or preparing) some programs related on this topic.... please check what this aquarium does when you have a minute: http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/conservation/

Forgot to mention that my buddy's contact number can be found under the "Order Now" tab for those of you who'd like some more information on a quality product.