Quantcast
Sub forum for what should I buy?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub forum for what should I buy?

Sub forum for what should I buy?

Given the frequency of the above question, would a sub forum dictated to that be helpful to get new people started?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Given the frequency of the above question, would a sub forum dictated to that be helpful to get new people started?
    Sounds like an excellent idea to me.

That sounds like and excellent idea. Then we can have all these questions in the same place and new users can easily reference the information.

I'm not always for creating new sub forums (too many specialized sub forums is annoying, as evidenced on the old forum), but this sounds like a great idea to me (assuming those that post the same "what knife should I buy? question in the sub forum continue to receive helpful answers).

I was thinking of this too. I think it would only really be a helpful improvement if it were cataloged well--maybe just encourage people to post what they ended up going with? Questions with lots of suggestions and no resolution is useless to those scouring the forum for information.

I was thinking of this as an adjunct to further queries, to give people a starting point without having to cover already well trod paths. Final resolution of the posters search is a necessary part of it, I think.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I was thinking of this as an adjunct to further queries, to give people a starting point without having to cover already well trod paths. Final resolution of the posters search is a necessary part of it, I think.
    I nominate you as head of new said subforum.

Well, I wouldn't want to assume people should go the same route as others in similar situations--the point is to use our group expertise to find a knife that fits just right for THAT person, and also not create fads where everyone is told to buy the same brand over and over.

Yes, the idea is that they can see what others have asked and have answered, and then proceed to investigate what is best for them. Obviously there is no "one size fits all" here.
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Great idea!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

+ Reply to Thread