Decent Cuban style black beans and rice recipe?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

add

Founding Member
Reaction score
OK, hot weather is finally here.

Anyone have a favorite way to do black beans and rice, Cubano ?

:hungry:

Frijoles Negros. Mmmm.

You really only need a few ingredients. Green peppers, onion, garlic, cumin and ,IMO, smoked pork of some kind.

and oregano. Check out Saveur's site, iirc they have a good rice and beans recipe. Love that site for authentic recipes

Are you looking for a good base for beans or rice try this:
Make a paste in a blender or food processor with the following ingredients
Onions, garlic, sweet red pepper, culantro(a pungent flat leaf kind of cilantro), aji dulce(not sure of the English on this one but it's like a floral habanero with much less heat) neutral oil to help blend..sorry I don't have more formal recipe....I learned from grandma.....it's called Sofrito

For beans add tomato paste after the beans are tender....like this with kidney beans and chick peas, but might work well why black beans too

For rice cook like a pilaf an add saffron or achIote powder for color.....hope this helps and sold love to here other variations from you all

Mr. Line cooked

I believe those are referred to as Scotch Bonnet Peppers, in Bermuda they are pickeled and considered a condiment. Good recipe.

Hax the Cook

CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Here's all I know....
Black beans cleaned and soaked overnight then cooked in water w/a couple of ham hocks, adobo, sofrito and a sliced onion that stays whole, sort of a boiled blooming onion. I wish I could tell you what is in the sofrito.....they are just green ice cubes I pull from the freezer....my wife makes those. Oh yea, this is probably more Rican than Cuban???

Hasta, Y buen comida,
PZ

Wonderful suggestions gents, thanks. :)

Please feel free to keep em' coming.

Have most of the ingredients so might make a compilation of the suggestions.
Might even be a ham bone from Easter in the deep freeze, with a decent amount of meat left on... gonna throw it on the grill first for a bit of charring and smokiness, then to the pot with it.

Back