Quantcast
Grilled spiral cut hot dogs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grilled spiral cut hot dogs

I just ran a chili dog special all day today. 2 -1/4pound all beef chilidogs and a beer for $10 sold a bunch of them.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Nicest damn hot dog knife me thinks I've ever seen...
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Wouldn't this dry out the wiener pretty quick? My general understanding is you shouldn't prick a sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Not a big dog fan, but this looks nice. I just can't handle the sponge bread. Now, bratwurst in a crusty roll I could eat all day...

Stefan
    Agreed.

Another alternate is Pearl brand...they're available round like a burger patty. We serve them on crusty french rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Wouldn't this dry out the wiener pretty quick? My general understanding is you shouldn't prick a sausage.
    Does not seems to. I usally find it ok to increase the surface area on meats just as long as you do it before cooking. I normally cut my smoked sausage in half before grilling. I also like deckling my roast and brisket before cooking.

The gentleman in the video has no credibility- he put ketchup on his hot dog.

I think it increases surface area for more smokey flavor. I need to get some wood skewers. I will try it. Tried tater tots the other day, but they were too smokey for the kids. I will stick to the oven for those.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I just ran a chili dog special all day today. 2 -1/4pound all beef chilidogs and a beer for $10 sold a bunch of them.
    Can I get two to go?

Dave

Every Wed. I meet up with some of my sisters for shuffleboard at a local dive bar. They have a weekly special on corn dogs on that day. I think I will ask them to do a chili dog special then!
    The bar was purchased by a Cuban fellow a while back and they might be able to put a Cuban spin on them, maybe.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

much more awesomer
    I made them tonight using larger wieners and Nathan's Famous natural casing Viennas, and have a couple of tips to share.

First, thicker sausages (wieners, frankfurters, whatever) work better than thin ones (like Nathan's or HNs). Natural casing smokies make for a nicer-looking, better-tasting dog, but it makes them harder to spiral. Finally, use a larger knife (gyuto, chef, or bigger petty) rather than a smaller one (paring, small petty); I started with my little Sab paring and couldn't manage continuous cuts or to keep the blade perpendicular to the axis. The larger blade made it easy.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky