Grilled spiral cut hot dogs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
In case you missed it, the Internet foodie community has been all a buzz this past week about spiral cut hot dogs.

It is not really a new idea, but the good folks at Chow posted a great how-to video on the subject that has gone foodie viral.

I gave it a try yesterday and they turned out pretty good. The spiral leaves nice slots that toppings can fit into and they fit the bun better.

Ch1mw.St.117.jpg

1fyVrx.St.117.jpg

14QGWZ.St.117.jpg

N44Bx.St.117.jpg

5wHQ.St.117.jpg

1cs67T.St.117.jpg

More pics and a video here.

That looks like a lot of fun, but I don't think that I could afford the equipment need to do it!

When I was a kid we had a spiral cutter for apples and such. I used it on hot dogs, and any thing else I could think of.

Good call on the beef dogs.... anything else is a sin! :knight:

I had just been thinking about this the last two weeks. Nice post. Just made chili dogs yesterday on my BGE.

Not a big dog fan, but this looks nice. I just can't handle the sponge bread. Now, bratwurst in a crusty roll I could eat all day...

Stefan

I just ran a chili dog special all day today. 2 -1/4pound all beef chilidogs and a beer for $10 sold a bunch of them.

Nicest damn hot dog knife me thinks I've ever seen...

Wouldn't this dry out the wiener pretty quick? My general understanding is you shouldn't prick a sausage.

Not a big dog fan, but this looks nice. I just can't handle the sponge bread. Now, bratwurst in a crusty roll I could eat all day...

Stefan

Agreed.

Another alternate is Pearl brand...they're available round like a burger patty. We serve them on crusty french rolls.

Wouldn't this dry out the wiener pretty quick? My general understanding is you shouldn't prick a sausage.

Does not seems to. I usally find it ok to increase the surface area on meats just as long as you do it before cooking. I normally cut my smoked sausage in half before grilling. I also like deckling my roast and brisket before cooking.

The gentleman in the video has no credibility- he put ketchup on his hot dog.:yuck:

I think it increases surface area for more smokey flavor. I need to get some wood skewers. I will try it. Tried tater tots the other day, but they were too smokey for the kids. I will stick to the oven for those.

Every Wed. I meet up with some of my sisters for shuffleboard at a local dive bar. They have a weekly special on corn dogs on that day. I think I will ask them to do a chili dog special then!
The bar was purchased by a Cuban fellow a while back and they might be able to put a Cuban spin on them, maybe.

I made them tonight using larger wieners and Nathan's Famous natural casing Viennas, and have a couple of tips to share.

First, thicker sausages (wieners, frankfurters, whatever) work better than thin ones (like Nathan's or HNs). Natural casing smokies make for a nicer-looking, better-tasting dog, but it makes them harder to spiral. Finally, use a larger knife (gyuto, chef, or bigger petty) rather than a smaller one (paring, small petty); I started with my little Sab paring and couldn't manage continuous cuts or to keep the blade perpendicular to the axis. The larger blade made it easy.

The knife you use does make a difference! Went to finish up the rest of the pack of dogs for lunch today and used a global this time. The Itou worked so much better! Sorry Spike... :biggrin:

Great thread. Now I have a reason to buy an Itou.

Man, since reading this thread I've made spiral dogs two days in a row. I like 'em for two reasons. First, they hang on to stuff better so I get less stuff dropping off. Second, they give more apparent volume in the bun from a small hot dog weiner :)

Given that I've made 3 at a time just as snacks, the fact that I can use less and make it seem like more is a great thing :)

Man, since reading this thread I've made spiral dogs two days in a row. I like 'em for two reasons. First, they hang on to stuff better so I get less stuff dropping off. Second, they give more apparent volume in the bun from a small hot dog weiner :)

Given that I've made 3 at a time just as snacks, the fact that I can use less and make it seem like more is a great thing :)

+1

I use would charcoal in my BGE. I am sold on doing it this way. It tasted better to me. Glad this post motivated me to try it.

Back