Quantcast
My first handles
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first handles

My first handles

Made a few handles for my knives that came with plastic ferrules. The octagon is made of apple/cherry/pear (don't remember but from my own back yard) wood and buffalo horn, the D shaped is oak with buffalo horn.

Octagon handle is for my Santoku from Hideyuki Tanaka and the big D shaped one is for my 165 Shimatani Deba.

Filing the tang hole is heavy work, especially with hard woods. Took me a few hours but I got them good enough to tap in without glue.

Too bad the images don't do the polish any justice since I got the horn to a shine from 180 to 3000grit paper and used a polishing machine with M83 to finish off the shine. I'm not too good with photography!

Making the horn fit without glue is an art and I don't imagine I can make a handle without glue just yet but I guess it can be done. Mine are pretty tight but still I used epoxy to glue the ferrule on.

I'll be making some more because there are still two knives with plastic ferrules that need changing!

Web guide

Hi, Did you find any good web resources?

Well I think I did google every word concerning handles, tangs, buffalo horn for a month etc but I didn't find any good guides. I think there were some videos of old japanese masters with long white beards making handles but I can't seem to find any good ones now. From some of the videos I learned to heat the tang red and push it into the handle with a puff of smoke.

I was so scared of ruining the tempering, I wrapped the knife in soaking wet toilet paper and then wrapped some aluminium foil around the blade to shield it from the heat. I constructed a simple forge out of an old car brake drum and moms hair dryer.

So I'd suggest read the older posts of this forum and then browsing through youtube and google to anyone who wants to make handles. Matching the oval buffalo horn hole (mortise?) to the handles oval bit (tenon?) was the hardest part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faq8fG7emYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DczhTaGuFIg

The second one is a really really useful video! I had no idea how to tap the handle off, it's actually very easy!

I use a scrap of lumber that is longer than the blade/handle, hold it to the side of the blade at the top of the handle and hit it with a hammer. Similar concept!

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Good job andur. Have you mounted any yet? If so, more pics plz.
    P.S. on the plastic ferrule thing-I hate plastic too !!!! I would pay extra(even on the cheapo knives) to have one without plastic!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Just looking at the pics of a buffalo horn, you can tell they are nicely polished!! I tend to get the best pictures in natural light on a somewhat cloudy day. Forgot to say those handles look really nice!!

Nice!

Just some quick pics. The mini yanagiba handle is a new one I just made. The handle needs some more wax. But the kasumi is nice, isn't it? Uchigumori fingerstones.

I was going to say those blade roads look awesome!!! So do the handles!

And may I add the mini yanagiba is a very handy little knife. These two knives are my go-to knives. Small work gets done with the yanagiba (fish, chicken fillet etc) and chopping/veggies are left to the santoku. I suggest everyone get this small Ikeuchi yanagiba, I think it's the best $30 I've spent in the kitchen. So much use and the edge retention is superb.
    The previous handle was a little bit smaller and also the D handles side line is a bit off the ideal placement but it works OK. I might make a new one if I get bored some day.