Knife Steel Chart for iphones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
Hi All,

Finally, after 6 months, Knife steel chart for iOS devices is in appstore.

Download Knife steel chart form appstore here

For prelim. info visit - iOS Knife steel chart page on zvisoft.com.

Currently it's version 1.1, as some of you know, 1.0 went online in Feb, but I had to pull it down right away.
This time it's there to stay :) App is free.

Functionality - 17 international steel standards, 4700 alloy names and ~900 unique compositions.
You can compare up to 5 alloy compositions, by all components, or by specific ones.
Synchronization with central knife steel database is also supported.

Pardon for the spartan design, I am a coder, no design skills, really.

Future plans - I'll try to keep the iOS app with web and Android versions. However, given the fact that I have to support 3 very different platforms Web/HTML5, Android and iOS, it's rather time consuming, so changes and updates won't be very frequent.
Besides, from the moment of submission, Apple takes about 2 weeks to "review" the app, that was the case for 1.0, same happened for 1.1. Not very encouraging for me. If I happen to introduce a bug, I can't fix it right away as with other platforms, but wait for 2 more weeks to upload the fix. Meanwhile I'd have to take down the app...

As usual, feedback, bug reports, feature requests/ideas and ratings are highly appreciated :)

I just downloaded the app--I don't know how much use it is going to be, but it is NEAT to have

After I dl'd the last one for my phone. I was trying out many different steels just as I was reading stuff here.

and here I just shifted from iOS to Android. Lol.

=(

Android steel chart has been out for almost 2 years :) And frankly, I find coding for android much more fun and rewarding that for iphone.

P.S. The thread about Android steel chart is below this one, couple threads..

Got the app for my ipod touch. Looks great.

;) SD card support for android app coming this weekend. For you and others who asked for it.
Larrin! Good to see you :) And good that you like the app.
Actually, if you have time later, for a short chat, I wanted to discuss few things about the app.

Sweet!!!!! I can't wait. When I had this on my phone I would try out random metals against each other. (if I could come up with one, he he)

Hi All,

Knife steel chart 1.2 is in appstore. Added listings support(catching up with Android), and support for the new iphone 5. Unfortunately, I had to test on simulator, so if you happen to have iphone 5, lemme know if all is ok. Specifically, no black bars or abnormally stretched images/controls etc...

I'll update this weekend and let you know, I have a iPhone 5.

Thanks for the chart gator. I use it all the time and its helped me learn a lot about knife steels.

I still refer to this app way more than I ever thought I would:lol2:

Eamon showed it to me last weekend...just got it installed...now I have something to do while I wait for my dentist this morning...

And just think. The next time you're at that killer restaurant, with a truly special lady, and you want to wow her with your knowledge of steel characteristics....you're all set. <g>

And just think. The next time you're at that killer restaurant, with a truly special lady, and you want to wow her with your knowledge of steel characteristics....you're all set. <g>

She'd have to be truly special not to just roll her eyes and think about her last boyfriend

She'd have to be truly special not to just roll her eyes and think about her last boyfriend

Precisely. I was just trying to come up with a situation in which I would need this chart on my phone. Other than noodling around at the dentist. ;-)

I suppose when you are on the knife show, in store etc, you won't be hauling your laptop or desktops on you, on the other hand how do I know you won't ;)

Anyway, error reports are welcome, including typos in alloy descriptions, incorrect behavior, etc. I spend most of the time developing/collecting data and syntax proofing isn't my strong side to be honest.

Looks fine on iPhone 5. No black bars etc. but I've only had a cursory look.

Thanks! You'd see right away if it was not fixed, black bars above and below content..

Ver. 1.3 is online. Added recently viewed list support, fixed bugs with synchronization, fixed empty composition records after synchro, fixed issue with repeated db restoring after startup, etc. Added Belgian(NBN) and Hungarian(MSZ) standards support.

Thank you, I've wasted more time than I care to admit with your app.

Latest posts

Back