young begining chef

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian Nell

Reaction score
Hello to everyone on this forums,

I am just starting to cook, I have only been cooking for maybe 2 months, my name is Julian Nell as you can see on my profile, I am 13 years old, I am not sure I will be posting alot because I am mostly here to learn I might post some pictures of the food that I make.

Julian

Welcome Julian, glad to see young people interested in cooking.

Welcome to the Knut House, Julian!

Thanks everyone.

Right now my favorite dish to make is either shrimp stir fry or baked garlic salmon on rice.

Julian

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your dishes. What are you cutting with? :)

I am cutting with a dull knife that my parents bought many years ago.

I am not sure when I will be able to get a new knife, but when I do I am looking at a MAC chef's knife,

or maybe something else, like a Tojiro, but I am making do with what I have.

Julian

How dull is dull? Do you have anything to sharpen with?

Well I can dice an onion fairly well, it doesn't go threw pepper skin with one slice, when I tried to chop a tomatoe it squished, and cutting steak is far from enjoyable.

Julian

I have a rod that I am using right now, I am really not sure if it is a good one and I don't have the money for any stones so no good sharpening.

Julian

Is the rod metal or ceramic and does it feel pretty smooth or rough?

The rod is metal, I can't remember at the moment but I believe that it is slightly rough.

Julian

The rod is metal, I can't remember at the moment but I believe that it is slightly rough.

Julian

Hmm. Sounds like you should take the knife to a nice smooth section of sidewalk and then the back of a ceramic mug. Got a pic of the knife that shows the edge well?

Sorry no photos of the knife right now and it is going to be a few days.

But I am not sure if it is something I really want to spend time trying to fix because I think it is a pretty thick blade.

Thank you very much for the advice, I might give it a try but I think it would be better to get a new knife.

Julian

Welcome! You can find a nice knife without spending a lot of money...hang out and enjoy!

:ntmy:
Welcome!

Pictures of anything--food and/or knives are ALWAYS welcome.

Welcome and awesome to see younger people cooking. I started when I was 8 and never looked back.

Welcome! Best of luck to you on your cooking.

welcome, send me your address and I will send you a knife to start your journey with.

Thank you very much for the offer, but I couldn't accept it.

Julian

Back