Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress. - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    I think it feels good, the taper is currently 4mm to 2mm. It is pickling clean overnight so i'll give it one more light run under the hammer to true the taper and stretch it a couple of mm so we have enough length to play with for final tweaks, Best to leave these complex patterns a bit thicker before grinding down to near final taper, then heat treatment, regrinding again after HT aiming for around 3mm 2mm 1mm on the spine. Taper wise, sound good?
    2 for one...mmmmmm.... cheeky monkey i need to sell the other bit...I have holes in all my trousers
    I do like this profile though, If you don't mind I may do the other bit the same profile, there will be subtle differences in the pattern from the forging process so you can then have the pick of either, I'll finish and put the other for sale.

Unless someone wants to jump in and commission the extra bit for something, this material takes a LONG time to produce so it would be a good cue jump.

Feel free to use the pattern, i am flattered you like it... Also, if i get two to choose from, seems like a win to me.
    Taper proportions sounds fine. Basically I like thin knives w/o too much flex and hitting the sweet spot between food release and drop through food. Tall order, i know! but that is the target.

I'll trade you a pair of pants (without holes) for the second one

I only wear solid gold trousers for allergy reasons, But second hand ones would do.
    Some pics of yours Robin after another quick run under the hammer and a quick dirty grind and etch to check its all looking in the right place.

And profile check, little more wiggle room, I probably wont tweak to final size till after HT now.

Nice! Starting to look really good!

On the pants, will spray paint do?

Lol I could just spray paint my legs and pretend i'm wearing trousers, or ask everyone else to pretend I'm wearing trousers...Its all gone rather surreal

You think? I have a 6 year old that loves a series of books called "Captain Underpants". The hero is a hypnotized principal that flies around in his underwear with a red curtain as cape to save the world.
    On your idea of painting the legs, when i was a id there was a story about the kings new clothes. You are right up his alley!

Keep the photos coming though!

Feather blades - Now doing the handles for Ted, Kwong and Daniel's feather blades, and the extra cleaver and a Truffula damascus Petty. Getting Ferrules and endcaps, spacers and fittings sorted.

Blades will remain at 180 grit hand finish until the handles are done, then I'll finish and etch them.
    Daniel, 180mm Petty and a 300mm Suji

Kwong, slim profile 230mm Suji

Ted's 180mm deep profile petty

Robin's and Scots will hopefully progress next week after I get this lot finished.
    Those waiting for feather blades from this batch, here is a teaser of the fine pattern on a small hunter I did from this batch. Needs a bit longer in the etch, but you get the idea.

Nice!
    There are more blades heading to Sweden?

The pair and Ted's are heading to the States and the narrow Suji to Japan ... Then yours, I should send that to Sweden, would be a good start And Scot's to to Scotland. A fine distribution of the feathers.

OK wrong Daniel...

After a bit of dashing around this morning realizing I had run out of this......and that, I got down to some handles.
    The Suji and Petty pair first...
    Slots done and fit up on the ferrules..

With the handle parts dry jigged, parts are ground square with the right taper and close to dimensions, then ground in at 45 degrees with a nice fresh ceramic belt to shift the damascus.

With that done and trued up... I carefully shape the front taper.
    First the sides.

Then the corners washed in to match.

Next step Gluing and final fit up and finish..
    Looking forward to polishing up that red Koa and of course etching all the damascus parts

+ Reply to Thread