Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Schwing!!

Freshly baked damascus loaves, mmmm I love the smell of smoking flux in the morning.

Heat cycled and annealed these. Will fix my big donkey saw to slice them tomorrow, much less wasteful than thin cutting disc

I think I
    Speak for the ahold forum in saying thank you for posting all these photos. It is really interesting to see how it is done.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Well done! Feathering Damascus without distortion is tricky.

Your pics are always great Will, thanks for the insight as always!

I don't think you get the respect you deserve. Just sayin'.

And I still think you should make me some cuff links with that....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Hello gang and thanks for the encouragement. Its a pleasure to do the WIP's over time it has become part of my thinking creative process. It also takes a load off sending e-mails and can all be in one place Lefty I will send you some chunks off the end of the basket weave, you can make it your mission to make them into cuff links. The etch is very deep in the end of the bar there, as the bar was pickled clean in strong muriatic, I reccon the deep etch with the nickel is key to the effect

First Mission sort out the old Donkey saw, thing is slow but its a beast and gets though eats through big bars while I'm getting on with something else. And much cleaner and less wasteful than a thin cutting disc on my feather loaves.

Not been run in a couple of years.......

After sorting a plug and starter box, a bit of a clean and top up with grease and coolant.....She runs and cuts, but needs a new blade and some shimming to cut square.

Found some blades locally and shimmed her to cut square.

Still cuts like a charm, this machine is probably older than my old man

Slight misstake with the damascus though. This one is as it should be. This is a structurally engineered feather pattern With fine carbon damascus for half the blade and more bold with very tiny amounts of pure nickel on the other.
    This is of course compressed into 2". On average this will be stretched out x7 when forged into a blade.
    The problem is with the other billet.
    One piece has been place the wrong way around at some point. however, I think it looks nice, and I am 99% sure the hardness will not be effected on the edge because of the fineness of the nickel and the amount of layers in the pattern, also the nickel does not cross the edge, so we will be fine. Hardness tests will confirm at various points in the pattern. And I think this pattern will look better on the narrower ordered blades, so the other will be used for the Gyuto's and the Nakiri. This one for the Petty and Suji.

Anyway I want to get one forged out to look at this slightly unplanned version of the pattern, Ht and hardness test. So Ed's 270 Suji for his carving set is up first

Forged a little bit over profile so it can be fettled on the grinder from here.

Great stuff Will, I absolutely love the "problem" billet!

Yeah me too, I also think there will be no real noticeable difference on the edge in this case. However if that is the case it kind of undermines my structural pattern, but hey ho In any case both will be able to be left much harder and remain more stable than a standard carbon damascus mix. Like 63 hrc rather than 60/61.

Next Level skill on display