Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress. - Page 27
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Out of this world!

Pretty cool isn't it. I finished the Loaf of it today, may have compressed the pattern too much will have to see. From a slice off the end that I heavily etched I also noticed a few voids, where something was trapped and got stuck until the acid removed it. On one particular part of the pattern, so may have been an issue in one of the start cans, will have to see, but we will make something nice out of it.
    the powders are not available in the uk, I have to get them sent form the states, but I will be trying some more in the future....
    Some pictures coming shortly from todays damascus times. Really getting into the swing again to be honest.

Some stainless steel clad cpm 3v blades forged, profiled and heat cycled. Lots of heat cycling and annealing with these to ensure the 3v is prepared for heat treatment......

Looking forward to trying this steel, I'm really pleased to have cracked the welding of this steel, it was very very heat and soak time critical, I had a fair few failures. But these billets welded up very nicely.

This is my current HT set up, Oven is for materials which need a pre-temper as soon as they have been quenched. The HT over gets used allot for heat cycling and annealing of billets during damascus production too. A very important step in damascus production is heat cycling, especially when you get into anything more spicy than a standard 1095/15n20 mix.

Damascus Loaves get 3 heat cycles followed by a full anneal before pickling then slicing for individual knives on the bandsaw.

I love watching the textures in a lump of damascus as it shimmers and cools. scale forming and popping off revealing luscious textures.

Some pattern development to get an idea of the type of pattern we are looking at for one of the finished billets.
    We have two different billets. One with more simple carbon steels and pure nickel, there will be two bars of this pattern repeated across the knife. It will be very pretty with the nickel and will be of medium hardness and more tough.... compared to the edge material, which will be very harder...

This is the edge material with a harder mix. 01 and 15n20, in a finer pattern to get the best out of the combined steels.

Something like this but with a second bar of the nickel pattern, middle and spine. This repeated across the blade. Depending on how good I get the compression etc.....

I think this will be one of the custom 2014 options, see how it turns out....

Material that goes to plan will be offered to those waiting for options on 2014 mosaic...

Well I am still working through the damascus. Had a break from it today to heat treat the cpm 3v san mai blades.

There is a hell of a lot to getting the Ht of this steel right, fortunately I found a guide from someone who actually knows what he is doing.

In an ideal world and referring to my Verhoven. Cryro should be immediately after quench.

In this case, the difference in expansion rates between the 304 and the 3v split the core straight up the middle upon deep freezing....

Still at least I know my welds are very good, and we can have a look at some grain breaks.

Very fine grain, somewhere between 01 and Aeb-l
    Note the difference in the smooth core compared to the granular grain of the 304 cladding.

This is all exposed grain from the centre of the core, very nice.

Anyway the others stayed in one piece by snap tempering briefly before cryo.

Here is what I'm using for handles, they will for a change be all made from man made materials, even the dowel. The blocks are Kevlar Micarta with brassy bits...

Should polish up nice, deep browny red with shiny brass bits.

Then to Finnish off some more damascus... Excuse arty texture shot attempts.

Got this big Suji forged out of half of the powder damascus billet. Has a killer taper forged in from 4mm down to about 1.5mm currently before HT and grind.

what is the height on the suji?

By the time it is Heat treated, profile trimmed a bit more and ground will be about 45/46mm Currently 310mm length.

that is a big guy

Feather damascus, final stacks. Very nice being able to make a precise cut for the last stack using the stop on the bandsaw:big grin:

Welded and cleaned up ready for the big split the splits

Heat cycling some other finished billets while the fire is hot, excuse more arty fire shots....

Weather is horrid, continuous high wind and torrential rain for weeks now. Lots of flooding......But not in my workshop, so shut the door and power on through

Feather damascus lumps, pre split, make sure they are split the right way.....

Half of one and half, tother...

Pairs all matched up size wise...

And final job for the day. First 3v core blade ground for abuse and comparisons.

And sharp. Quite tough stuff to sharpen, but not impossible and boy does it get sharp! More to come on that.

what are the size on the 3v's?

+ Reply to Thread