Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress. - Page 28
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

I think about 180mm on the two Petty. And one 210 Gyuto.
    Gona give this one some abuse and testing first though, straight off I am unable to warp or chip the edge on a brass rod, so the heat treat looks to be spot on. It harder to sharpen than the D2, but probably harder with this heat treatment than I took the D2. Its not impossible to sharpen, easier than say cpm 30v. I'll do some proper testing at some point over the weekend and see how I like it in food..... I'm forging again tomorrow....... on a mission

good stuff are yo ugoing to sell them what hrc are you trying to achieve?

Thanks for the WIP pics, I am constantly amazed at what you are able to achieve. Hopefully one day I will be able to own one!

They will be 61/62 rc. Hard to test in san mai. I could test a slice off a billet after heat treating... But the edge characteristics tell me what I need to know. Yes I will send out a mail shot when they become available

Quote Originally Posted by foodaholic View Post
    Thanks for the WIP pics, I am constantly amazed at what you are able to achieve. Hopefully one day I will be able to own one!
    Much appreciated, I'm enjoying my new documenting rig, an old canon 20d and a fast 50mm lens, on a tripod. I have a timer thing on the way too, to make these "selfies" a bit easier to pull off...

what are the specs on the 180 and 210 sorry for asking so many questions

The Petty, just over 40mm height, 3mm over the heel, full distal taper, 170-180mm length.
    The Gyuto, not ground yet but looking like it will be 50mm, 3.5mm over the heel, 200-210mm length......
    They are 3v clad in 304 stainless. I was going to try out that new kevlar micarta with the brassy bits and black faux bone with suitable spacers, to follow the elegant but hard core theme of these...

Really looking forward to seeing the handles. I can't figure out what they are going to look like.

Nor me, lol, not used micarta much before let alone kevlar with brass thread micarta! Hoping it will look like nice coffee bag type with shiny brass bits.

Feather damascus finally finished and heat cycled ready to slice on monday. Got another blade forged out and a quick grind and dirty etch on both these. The Suji is from the powder billet, quite allot of distortion but should be very pretty when its all polished and etched properly. I figured out what the pitting is, its just the mild steel from the original can over etching when pickling, hopefully will get it all out on the final grind. The other i'm very very pleased with how it looks.

+ Reply to Thread