Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

I have started to think about the western construction on the slicer, despite it being a bit of a distraction.
    I found a chunk of damascus for the bolster to forge down, tried some colour case hardening on it, ( hot bluing) Im going to try and use this treatment in this Slicer handle to test it out. Its a good semi permanent finish if done right, it can be buffed to a high finish like on case hardened shotgun parts.

I had to grind the slicer to check my ladder dies are going to be ok for the sets.

Its double bevel, some nice taper now, from 5mm down to about 2.8mm before it tapers down with the bevel....
    Im conferring with a meat expert......But this will be like a heavy Suji, slicing Proteins in larger sizes. Or a show off sunday dinner As such I'm grinding it thin at the edge.....and have taken the temper a touch over what these steels can be down to around 61/62. These are super tough together at around this hardness.

After the etch, Im pretty sure I want to fully grind/convex it the rest of the way, make the most of that pattern and shed a tad more weight......Just a quick etch after a belt finish....

The ladder dies were a success though, I'm pleased with that tight even ladder.............
    360mm heel to tip.

Next to grind these san mai having completed all the temper cycles on those while messing about with handle parts and grinding.

That's some seriously sexy Damascus!

Cheers Mark, Cant beat a good old fashioned ladder! Pleased the dies worked out.

Man, I need more of your work.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

The Damascus looks beautifully executed Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    The Damascus looks beautifully executed Will.

Very nice work, looks like it is going to be a head turner when finished!

Stunning already!

Made a little progress on the 360mm Slicer today whilst damascus was heat cycling and while waiting for various supplies......
    Grind completed. I decided to fully grind it, glad I did it will work best with the pattern and it is a heavy knife, needed the extra taper and weight loss that a full grind provides......
    Its just over 5mm thick spine over heel, to about 3mm around 50mm from the tip, from there it tapers down to a thin but convexly robust tip. I have tried it on a joint of meat and it works very nicely I think.

Spine is rounded now, everything down to about 200 grit, so the hard graft done, just finishing to go.

Kinda gives an idea of the taper, but distorted by the camera.....

Next I've been mulling over handle construction given that I am going to be surface treating the Bolster after final finish so will need to fit exact.....

So I've been machining a cunning bolt arrangement for the back of the handle...... will thread over a threaded bar welded to the tang. You might not quite see how this is going to work at the moment but all will become clear....

Next to glue on the angle end cap and make a slightly different sort of jig to rough cut the handle shape......

But for now back to damascus......

Whoa!