Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress. - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Looks lovely...

I noticed the "over grind" of the Stainless Damascus on the heel..
    Another good foutune incident?

I like it. I can't help but notice that creative juice is flowing to the metal..

have fun and a a nice week-end

rgds
    ~D

Thanks Eamon, my methods have evolved allot since I started, in order to keep the damascus cleaner. As I remember the passaround Suji, was different steels, I had infact muddled up the steels, and used two very similar ones, which is why the contrast was not like these. But of course there was no effect in use, it just made a more subtle pattern. The stainless dammy is fun, the pattern reveals with just polishing, the etch just gives it some extra bite. The 304L in the stainless mix and the pure Nickel will take a high polish and not be effected by the etch at all, giving it lots of bling potential The downside is, with buffing, I lost the black in my logo, but I can live with that. Got lots of handles to make now....

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    Looks lovely...

I noticed the "over grind" of the Stainless Damascus on the heel..
    Another good foutune incident?

I like it. I can't help but notice that creative juice is flowing to the metal..

have fun and a a nice week-end

rgds
    ~D
    Your totally right, I had a misshap with the heel on the buffing machine, so it got more rounded off than usual....Glad you like it....was a good warm up for your 2 stainless damascus ones, getting the finish right....

Feels like I have not posted for ages. I have been plodding on in the workshop, and making the best of the rest of the summer getting out of the house in the evenings.... i'm getting ready for a big push on commissions,,,, thanks for all your patience, it makes the work a pleasure rather than a choir.
    Here are a few WIP shots, two huge feather billets on the way for commission pieces, need to do one more stack to 4...then the final big stack and split...
    These billets are in 01/15n20 with solid 01 to one side of the W's, so these blades will have a solid 01 edge.

01 requires more precise temperature control on the welding soaks
    Here is the bit off the end of the billet after forging out... testing progress.

Ready for the next stack of 4 of each

And do it all again

Also this one prepped, a tasty sandwich of stainless damascus clad, with pure nickel separating a core of 14c28n...mmmmmmm yummy.

Thanks All

The HC lasted longer than I thought it would without tinkering
    Is the Nickel keeping all the Carbon in the core of the stainless? Have you got a new camera too?

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Feels like I have not posted for ages.
    You haven't. It has been nearly a month.
    Sure, you have been busy. But we have needs too.

Just teasing you Will.
    I have really missed seeing photos of the new stuff you are working on.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

Thank you Fellas, Tom, your right the nickel stops the carbon escaping, I have seen copper used as well for this purpose. It adds a bit of bling, but the 304 is very bright too so really its just a practical measure.
    I'm just finishing some knives up, two feather for commission and a couple to add to my web shop, will get some pictures up light allowing later.

Glad you are back Will, love to see your WIP's.

General picture updates.
    Thanks Dude, good to be back at it, ... after more set backs with the hand i'm missioning on, with a combination of commissions and a few extras to put on my site, trying to make up for the down time.
    Finally got the next to last stage in these two feather billets done, friday I will reweld and forge each into a nice loaf, to take slices. The billets are BIG, so thats good, and I've managed to keep the solid 01 on the edge, also good

Further to my experiments for Mark's Nakiri, I decided to do a twisty composite Cleaver, to make alongside and add to my Site. I may need some cleaver advise, I think it will be a meat chopper with double bevels, a fairly robust edge and the hollow ground faces, to shed some weight, and work with the pattern more than anything else, its currently, 210mm long by 70mm tall, 4.5mm over the choil and 2.5mm at the tip.
    The pattern is pretty involved, Its a 9 bar composite, Top bar is a soft twist is 15n20 and 1080 with pure nickel, then the central 7 bars, a tight twist of 01/15n20 and pure nickel, then the edge bar, which is 01.
    Some WIP on that one, I'll HT it when I do Marks next week probably now.
    The Stack

Welded and cleaned up, interesting to see the pattern clearly from different aspects.

Loads of material, but to get the best of the pattern, its quite wasteful.

Blank forged, tapered and ground clean...
    The Pattern is called Persian Twist btw,old Skool stuff, but a first for me.

I have some finished pieces done also, I'll get some pics on the morrow. Thanks all

+ Reply to Thread