Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress. - Page 3
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Right, building up some momentum again... In the works we have 3 large billets started in 01/15n20 these will be for 2 huge billets of feather damascus, they will have a solid 01 edge as the end layer is a 15mm piece of 01.

Stainless damascus for cladding in 304 and 430, just split open the can, looking good.

Some extras here, from left over bits of material. Will finish these and add them to my shop. There are 2 Petty/Suji in carbon damascus/01, a small petty in stainless damascus clad blue 2. A little petty in 14c28n and a Nakari in 14c28n. I have something different planned for the grind on this one.

And I have got myself some recession transport, for blatting on the lanes to my workshop.

She's a beast

Is that a moped? If you'd bought it a little earlier you might have got yourself a job at the cycling in the Olympics

Sweet hog! Nice metal in the works too.

Wow Will!

I am impressed! Maybe in the future we can start a project! Really like the suji feather and those projects seem promising!

Please keep us on the loop with WIP, ok?

OMG its Puch i had 2 of those

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Right, building up some momentum again... In the works we have 3 large billets started in 01/15n20 these will be for 2 huge billets of feather damascus, they will have a solid 01 edge as the end layer is a 15mm piece of 01.

Stainless damascus for cladding in 304 and 430, just split open the can, looking good.

Some extras here, from left over bits of material. Will finish these and add them to my shop. There are 2 Petty/Suji in carbon damascus/01, a small petty in stainless damascus clad blue 2. A little petty in 14c28n and a Nakari in 14c28n. I have something different planned for the grind on this one.

And I have got myself some recession transport, for blatting on the lanes to my workshop.

She's a beast

Lol, yep a Puch, its been a bit tuned, thankfully or it would only do 25mph, this one does 50!!! But the engine does sound like it is going to melt at that rpm, a comfortable 40, which is plenty for the lanes. It has been making me grin in any case.

I have been missioning on with damascus and forging out more blanks.

I had a break from the forging to grind this one, as i'm looking forward to trying it out.
    It has a very soft hollow grind behind the bevel, a little Takada esc... but ala grinder. I'm just flatting the bevels now on the stones I'll take it all the way and pop a tiny micro bevel on there. This is forged 14c28n mono stainless @ 62hrc. Small Nakari.

Mid grind, shows where the geometry was headed better.

Because of the hollow geometry, there is no need for such a dramatic taper over the length. It tapers from just under 3mm to about 1.5mm over the spine. It is a sturdy feeling blade with zero flex, yet I hope it will give that Takeda effect with very little cutting resistance. Proof will be in the pudding of course.
    Let me know what you think about this one. Cheers
    Will

That is very interesting! It should be a great cutter, I think.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

That nakiri looks flippin' fantastic. This reminds me of some of the cleaver ideas that we where kicking around awhile back...

Thanks Spike, will find out shortly, The bevel has been flatted, starting to move up the stones....

Justin, yeah I've had this in my head for a while. I've chickened out on forged hollows for the time being. It is going to need some custom die blocks making for the hammer. For my current hammer that could be pricey. I'm hoping to be adding a small spring hammer to my workshop soon, which will be cheap and easy to make tools for and be pretty much perfect for the job, bit like a Japanese hammer with very soft radius die blocks, the top one smaller than the bottom, making it very versatile for drawing the tang, then drawing in all directions, or making hollow parts to a blade.

But I need to sell a big press first....

For now I'm seeing some scope with ground hollows in Nakari and Cleaver. With some nice texture and finish differences in mono....and some interesting reveals on damascus. The hollows would be a great way to reveal the nice bit of the pattern in a multibar twist. That was kinda what I was thinking of for your cleaver......

Flatted and polished the bevel. And had a brief test. Its a very sturdy blade with a nice weight, yet cuts very nice, with very little resistance and sticking. I'll get it finished and shoot a video. May go a bit further with the hollows.
    At the moment the hollows are a belt finish, I would like some contrast between the bevel and the hollows. So I think I'll go for a cloudy finish on the hollows and a high polished stone/ near mirror finish on the bevel.