Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress. - Page 4
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Finally got these two feather billets drawn out and well on the way.
    After forging and trimming the profiles.
    Andrey - 240 mm Gyuto

Ben - 220mm Gyuto

After grinding the taper and a quick etch.

Andrey

Ben

And a little carbon group, all heat cycled, ready for HT in the morning.

Great looking damascus

Hi Will

Nakiri question: whats the blade height and length of the "nakiri" ? From the pic.. it does seem to be higher than the gyuto in the "group" picture of your present project and thus not a typical nakiri

More information as to the hollow grind wld be appreciated as it seems to be of a different ball game altogether? Perhaps testing a new profile?

Tks adn rgds

D

Hey David, Yep I think I went fairly tall on the Nakiri, I'll have a measure tomorrow, from memory, 55mm. Its a nice cutter. I wanted to do something like this since trying out a hollow forged Takaeda Gyuto. There is very little cutting resistance. I need to get a handle on to test it properly. I'll shoot a video of some cutting with it.

Will..

I like the idea of a taller nakiri.. May be excellent for light chopping and mincing and also a scooper....

curious as to the hollow grind . Unless the blade is fairly thick to start with, it may be too thin.. need to know the thickness of the edge from 1mm above the edge.

Will need to figure out how to effectively sharpen a hollow grind of this knife size.... experience only on my straight razor and an EDC.. cold steel.. could be interesting and challenging...

rgds
    D

I think he's talking about a shallow hollow forged into the blade face ABOVE the secondary bevel, not the area that you sharpen.

Yep Eamon has it, the section above the bevel is hollow ground, the bevel is flat, so its easy to thin and maintain. The hollow is there above the bevel to reduce friction and sticking.

thanks ... I get it now... its the first time that I come across this type of grind

now pondering with what needs to be done when the regress reaches the flat bevel?.

look fwd to your video and look fwd to the choil picture....if it is not too much trouble..

rgds

D

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    now pondering with what needs to be done when the regress reaches the flat bevel?.
    Nothing, it will just get pushed up naturally. If the knife ever got worn down to the point that you are well into the face of the blade(and kudos to you if you ever manage that), then you will end up hitting the spine as a natural extension of the secondary bevel thinning, just like a straight razor, and the hollow will manage itself.

The hollow is VERY slight. As in you can hardly tell by looking at it, pretty much only becomes obvious when you put it to a stone. I polish my Shigefusa with an Ohira Uchigomori fingerstone and I noticed that if I held it horizontally on the blade, I didn't hit the bottom of that slight hollow. Otherwise I may never have known it was there.

That is some really tight looking feather you've made there Will, really consistant work.

The grind on the nakiri is really interesting. In my head it seems like a hollow grind maybe more suitable for kitchen knives as it should be easier to combine laser like performance with good food release as taller stuff like potatoes would be less likely to stick to the hollows. With a convex grind it seems like its more of a battle between great food release but more wedging, or average release but more laser like performance. That's what my brains telling me anyway, i don't know though as iv'e never used a hollow ground knife before. It's going to be interesting to see wether the theory works or not.