Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress. - Page 5
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Looking good, the bike's going to be fun when winter hits
    Ground in hollows? What was stopping you doing it on the Anvil

Looking good though, want me to put a 'normal' nakiri in the post for comparison? Will be interesting to see how it does on higher stuff, though with the extra height you gave it I doubt there'll be much that would hit the spine.

Need to find someone to buy that press off you

The Hog is for summer use only I've been finding myself taking a slightly longer way to work in the mornings, and arriving with a grin. Also zapping down the road to sit somewhere nice to eat my sandwich.
    Yay, send me a Nakiri, that would be cool, also for comparison on the video. Got a handle glued together so should be able to test it properly at the weekend.
    I will try forging the hollows at some point. Didn't fancy doing it by hand though with 14c28n mono, loving this steel btw.

Hey, you Brits invented riding in the rain! Why hang it up when summer is over?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

So, you're liking the mono?

Sorry Matt, I managed to miss that one, yep i'm very confident of the HT and steel now. Its much finer grained than anything else I have tried, including 01 carbon, which is pretty darn fine. As a result it takes a super fine edge, maybe too fine for some uses, in which case a final stropping with a lower grit stone gives it a bit more bite and bite which lasts. Its very easy to sharpen, only a touch tougher than blue paper 2. And comes fantastic with a few licks of the strop again.
    The toughness is very good, it does not chip, and is resistant enough to folding. Though when pushed to destruction, say a fine edge hammered through a nail, yep I had to try it, it does distort rather than chip. Actually damage was quite fixable on this extreme test. I believe that the non-chippyness is also down to the fine grain structure.
    Anyway , you will find out soon enough and be able to let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post

Anyway , you will find out soon enough and be able to let me know what you think.

This batch of blades are being worked through, i'm handle making all weekend. There are two Feather damascus Gyuto commissions, the rest are stock for my shop.

Next week i'll make some more progress on the next feather batch, and the stainless commissions.
    On a personal note, I finally pulled the handle off my Massamoto, it is getting thinned and convex ground a little more going into the edge, there is not much material to work with, so softly softly. Then I will hand finish it, i'm going to etch it to see if there is any differential hardening at all on these, you never know

many thanks.
    Will

Looking good, Will.

A healthy busy day today, spent hand rubbing, etching logo's, more hand rubbing....and etching damascus...and more rubbing.
    Here are some sneaky pics up upcoming pieces.
    Carbon

And this, Catcheside Cutlery- stainless dammy, blue paper core, with a pure nickel accent.

I'm working all weekend to make some progress, so I'll keep you all posted.

Will, why does your Damascus look so dang clean? Is it the camera? A secret etchant? Different metals?

I noticed on the Slicer I used from you about a year ago that the pattern behaved very strangely, and showed up best at a high polish, which is kind of backwards from what I normally see.