Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress. - Page 12
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Your Handle has come out good too Robin, I worked it on the diamond back to octagonal so as to have a nice top/bottom 50/50 ish of the dark. The balance is a little further forward as its all wood. Its 25mm ahead of the choil as i remember. If this is too far forward i can add a piece of round brass bar drilled into the butt.
    Layers, cant remember now, the same as the competition billet. Will be about 15-20 x 6 x 4 x 4 x 7 so 10,000 plus.

I have some more news, I'm sorting some lighting out, but I have a fairly decent camera now, to attach to my head to make a series of videos going through all the knife making processes. Catcheside Cam

Stainless mono batch takes priority next, but alongside I am starting the next damascus batch.

Next up on the damascus front is More Feather damascus, a basket weave/micro W's composite and some nice damascus clad san mai in carbon and stainless.

Oh and Spoons!
    Thanks all.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Gorgeous steel Will.
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

shiiiit...... that feather pattern is very very very beautiful!!! Did you laminate feather over a core? What's in the core?

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Your Handle has come out good too Robin, I worked it on the diamond back to octagonal so as to have a nice top/bottom 50/50 ish of the dark. The balance is a little further forward as its all wood. Its 25mm ahead of the choil as i remember. If this is too far forward i can add a piece of round brass bar drilled into the butt.
    Layers, cant remember now, the same as the competition billet. Will be about 15-20 x 6 x 4 x 4 x 7 so 10,000 plus.

Oh and Spoons!
    Thanks all.
    I like the balance point rather forward, so please leave as is.
    Glad to hear the wood came out nice, it's a cool piece but it was a little bit risky...

Will there be other than marmelade spoons?

Thanks

Yes Robin, some forged stainless tasting spoons.

Will, they damascus is the best looking I've ever seen. I'm honestly amazed!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

That feather Damascus is unreal. Seriously. Un freaking poopmypants slapsomebody real.

Thanks Guys Van Zanten, No I don't use a core in Mosaic, I find the pattern gets too lost and distorted. The 01 edge is part of the pattern.

I have given up smoking for 12 days now, also started doing Yoga, yep its some sort of new me Honestly though I have a ton of energy all of a sudden.

Anyway some pics of these 4 getting finished. Will do the very final touches tomorrow and these will be done.

Murray's Gyuto, had a bit of a mare with this one as we tried to use real jade for the handle bits, which ended up just being impossible with my tooling at least.
    So we have Malachite, Jade powder/in epoxy, and the customers provided wood. This was not stabilized but doesn't really need it. Its from New-zealand I forget the names, was a pain to finish but we got there.

Had to stop and add CA glue at this point because of the voids appearing in the eyes.

Clayton, Long awaited...

Scot's Handle endcap in the etch....

Those blades and handles are all done now, just to attach and sharpen. All the blades have already been sharpened and tested on food once before final hand sanding. This just helps ensure the edge geometry is spot on on the stones before hand finishing. So final honing is not much more than a kiss on the hone to set a bevel.....then polish it.
    Next lot of damascus getting started...

Thanks All, have a wonderful weekend

Nice, but Im missing one....

Need to polish the highs on the dammy ones, I'll get some gallery pics when they are all spangling tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread