Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Those very well might be the 2 most beautiful knives I've seen from you, and you've made A LOT of really beautiful stuff.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Don't take this the wrong way Will, but those really should be in an art museum.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Sorry for the lack of updates. My time is a little thin at the moment and to make matters worse I have had some returning lower back pain. It really knackers me out being in pain all the time, so I've decided the only way to combat it is to get as fit as possible. Plus im going to need to find super amounts of energy for the upcoming year training someone and making enough to keep us going. So have been in the gym, swimming or doing my bodybalance class nearly every evening. Good news its really starting to work
    Anyway, some long overdue work finally getting done.
    We have some progress on the remaining stainless. In between making damascus the warps are being taken out in a temper jig. So they will be ground next week.

Catcheside Feather damascus in progress for 6 ordered knives. This is a very special mix with bolder high contrast wity pure nickel on the spine, and a very fine mix of steel on the edge which can be left extra hard and remain stable.

Two billets on the left are fused, on the right stacked ready to be welded.

Welded

About to be welded

New burner from my clever friend, thing is a beast and can hold temperature on a dime in the upper or lower end of the spectrum. I will be getting another one for the big welding furnace I am building.

All billets welded

Drawn out on edge

All done ready for the next stage.

I also did two more billets for a new damascus I am working on, will surprise you with that later. If it works and there is enough could be for the first set of knives.

Feather Damascus, now on the second stack of 4. I will update you on that as I have some more pictures of the pattern development from the next stack.
    Got the afternoon on this. It is a fairly traditional basket weave developing at the moment, from two different billets, one with nickel/01/15n20 and the other en42/15n20. Each billet was forged down square then cut in half, Each making up a corner of the start of the basket weave.
    Its a huge chunk, it will get even bigger as it will be a composite with something else, not sure yet.....

This is about 3" square

By about 14cm

First set of dies in the press, make the weld and get us down to about 2" square

Next dies all ready set up in the hammer take us rapidly now down to about 35mm

And there we have it, ready to clean up for the next quartering.

I will either keep it fairly traditional and use it in a composite, or take it radial and combine it with another edge material, will see how it develops.

Soon as i get my software updated i will start to get some more video of these stages. Only real way to capture the excitement. Would be nice to edit a from start to finish knife on film ala pov shaky head cam

I like the pov shaky head cam!
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

+1 I like the POV head cam also

I hear you, shakey head cam man will return soon. Hopefully I will have someone else around to take some action shots before long
    In the mean time Dammageddon is upon me One more stack of four to do on the feather. I have 4 billets on the go, which will make two monster stacks when it comes to spitting....here is some pattern development from the bar ends....

And my basket weave, I have a plan for it now, for this batch, will need to make another material to combine it with. All will be revealed.... But not yet.
    This has also given me a firmer plan on the pattern for the first uber knife set. I will need to draw some profile sketches and do some design work for that on paper first ±I think and for the storage.

Anyway I digress, basket weave......

Last stack of 4, then to compress it a little.....

man i love checking out this thread. depending where all you are taking that shaky head cam id love more action videos.
    Will Im sure i have said this before but thanks for sharing its a unique look at the knife making process.

Part metallurgy , part alchemy . Too cool!