Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress. - Page 31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Works in progress.

Really nice pics, did someone take them for you or are they a tripod and timer set up?

Hello Warren, sorry for my lack of reply, I have been having a tough couple of weeks. I got myself an old canon 20d and a 50mm lens, I have it set up on a tripod with a timer.....It makes for some nice surprise shots....Since I have been using the dslr I can't bring myself to use anything else
    Lots going on in the workshop, will get some pics up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Hello Warren, sorry for my lack of reply, I have been having a tough couple of weeks. I got myself an old canon 20d and a 50mm lens, I have it set up on a tripod with a timer.....It makes for some nice surprise shots....Since I have been using the dslr I can't bring myself to use anything else
    Lots going on in the workshop, will get some pics up soon.
    Hi Will, no worries about the lack of quick reply as I know how busy most of the people on here are
    Have you tried doing any long exposure shooting? might look good with the trails of sparks flying about I am in the Nikon camp myself at the moment love the 50mm lens on it, got the older manual focus one and it takes beautiful pics for the £50-£60 you can pick them up for

Im sure Nikon are fab, I went canon as I picked one up at a bargain price and I can borrow my brothers expensive lenses if required. Between the kit lens the 50mm plastic fantastic and a rather nice 60mm macro seems to have it covered for workshop and end product photographs.

I had to have a break from grinding today so I set about forging damascus carving forks and a cheeky little, well quite chunky tasting spoon from stainless....

Soon to be forks, the process for these is to forge to shape, then grind the last of the profiling in as these are damascus and will want to be hand finished and etched....

Now split for the tines, next step will be to separate the them and forge them out... then I will draw the rest from the rest of the lump...

I have been wanting to try a forged tasting spoon for a while, so here is one, my way, forged from 20mm stainless steel.

She is pretty an authoritative spoon I would say, suitable for a sharp clock to the head from senior chef if the flavour does not meet his exacting standards...

And finally what is in grind process.....lots

Feather damascus.....

This is the slice off the end of the loaf, the pattern will stretch out from here as its forged into blades but just for a taste....

And some others...

I hate this forum sometimes!!!! I could end up with a kitchen full of handmade everything if I keep seeing stuff like this

Wow Will, thanks for the pictures, great to see the different stages your work goes through!

"She is pretty an authoritative spoon I would say, suitable for a sharp clock to the head from senior chef if the flavour does not meet his exacting standards..." Almost wet my pants Will. Gonna try this at home... fist with a rubber spatula or sponge
    Spoon looks like a WINNER. Maybe for a Fall Collection?

Beautiful spoon. I love how it's not smoothed out. Reminds of something our ancestors might have used back in the day.

Thanks guys n girls, yes sometimes the simple ways are nice

This batch are all getting finished off, just the polish and etch on the handles to go, two more Gyuto's to etch too.

Honing the whole bevels after the etch, a great advantage to having the hollows for maintenance.

1500 grit prior to the etch.

Two different feather variations side by side. On both the edge and spine side are different materials. Edge side is double high carbon, very hard yet tough still due to the combination and fineness of the pattern. 62/63hrc Spine side has pure nickel in the mix.

Still got to polish and etch the damascus handle parts.

This shows up the extra shine in the pure nickel, it also etches a bit deeper than the double high carbon mix.

Getting there!

+ Reply to Thread