Quantcast
Ginsan or SKD - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ginsan or SKD

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    I can't answer about the knives themselves other than to say they probably both passed through the same sets of hands in the same workshops in Sakai.
    i doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i doubt it.
    +1.

I have a Yoshikane wa 270 and a friend of mine has a western 270. Same steel but the western is thick and massive while the wa is actually quite thin. I like the steel. Sharpening is not the greatest but edge holding is quite good. I would recommend it at that price point. Maybe you can get Jon to have a Gengetsu suji in semi-stainless made. I'm really liking that steel. Edge holding is very good on that and sharpening is quite easy but it is tougher than Heiji steel, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i doubt it.
    for sure not... they're from different cities

I remember reading on KF that the sakai was a bit chubby and I don't think the review was great. BTW I love that koa handle,that wood is to beautiful to put a ferrule on the handle.

Thanks Guys. I don't do any real delicate slicing, this will be mainly a BBQ knife so a little thickness and toughness is OK. It will also see some cutting board action too.

If you're going to beat up on your knife a little, go for the softer steel (that would probably be ginsan) But just as important is the geometry of the knife for your purpose.

Go with the Yoshikane Mike, I have one that Marko touched up a bit and I love it!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
    Thanks Guys. I don't do any real delicate slicing, this will be mainly a BBQ knife so a little thickness and toughness is OK. It will also see some cutting board action too.
    Is the ginsan tall enough for board action? I think the yosh would fit that role much better.

much more awesomer
    Sorry guys. Thought for sure Yoshikane was Sakai not Sanjō... and ignorantly didn't look it up. Paul's had a 240 suminagashi ginsanko Takayuki gyuto a while back and it was almost too pretty for words. Fairly porky spine near the handle, but really nice looking. Not too too heavy if I recall.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I would go for the yoshikane, I like my gyuto a lot and SKD 11 would make a great slicer.

+ Reply to Thread