Wooden spoon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbochef422

Reaction score
I will soon be re-handling my set of chef au ritz sabatier knives and would like to make a matching wooden spoon with the same wood. I haven't picked it yet but how would I go about making it food safe and able to handle use. I really like something twice dyed with lots of blue. Thanks. And by soon with my current work schedule and with a 1yr old I mean hopefully by Christmas.

would not go with a dyed stabilized wooden spoon, you would be much better off with a natural wooden spoon treated with mineral oil, something like a fruit wood (plum, cherry,apple)or walnut, maple, birch, if you use olivewood treat with olive oil. No one really knows what will happen over time when you use stabilized dyed woods in sauces, soups and other hot foods. Don't take that chance with your health or the health of your kid and loved ones.

I make a lot of spoons and spatulas and they are almost always cherry or sycamore. Not saying that other woods won't work well, but I've found these two are very stable and long lasting and take a good beating before they need to be reconditioned. IIRC, sycamore was THE utensil wood in earlier times.

I also don't thing that stabilized woods would work well.

A purple plum spoon would be gorgeous! I really have trouble with apple splitting/checking, but it would last forever. I have an olive spatula that one of my daughters brought me from Greece, but it's way too pretty to use, and hangs on the wall.......

from a professional standpoint (even though my kitchen days are done), i love wooden spoons

the problem is if you use them long enough, they become unsanitary. i have gone through quite a few in my career and the second they become misshapen, i throw them out. i saw one guy making risotto with a spoon that was like half gone on one side once and threw his spoon out. he got mad but to me, all that wood has ended up in someones food. if you cook at home and are cool with that, good on ya. if people are going to pay for something, they have the right not have to worry about contaminates in their food.

all that being said, i would really like to see what you make. pics please :D

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna use it probably at home and not in my professional kitchen. Purple plum sounds nice

I don't want to crush your dreams and have had many an unusual thought myself for similar ideas. Talk with people like Mark at Burl Source and Dave who makes Boardsmith boards. They may have ideas, and have a lot of wood knowledge. Woods like purple heart have a purple color. Some woods Mark has gain color from fungus and can be quite striking. He has been experimenting with this and has some from natural processes as well. Making sure woods used aren't toxic is also important. Best of luck on your dream.

I've heard somewhere that magnolia is quite stable...

/ducks

:tease:

Back