Draining Poly Food Pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
I'm storing a couple stones in water and would like to be able to drain pan (its an awkward 10 lbs) to move it or replace water. Considering the attached.

Cooler plug will only require 1 hole but is designed for thicker wall and not sure it will seal well. Kayak plug will require three holes.

To drill without cracking: Tape, drill slow, hope? Pilot holes?

Any/all suggestions appreciated.

2012-07-08_1238.png

Thanks,

Dave

Hotel pan with a drip insert available from a restaurant supply store, etundra.com, or wasserstrom.com. just lift out the drip insert to change the water.

Cambro has a drain valve for about $70. Kind of pricey. Maybe an ice chest.

Thanks guys. I have the stones in a full size, 4.5 in, pan with colander insert so getting them out is easy enough. Still have 6 qts of water in pan that wants to get on my floor. Have looked at cambro, carlisle and rubbermaid for hotel/food pan with drain but no joy.

Any other thoughts?

How about an infant bathtub? I have seen some that are just rectangular basins with a drain. Or a camp sink from REI.

Sounds crazy, but I use an Igloo 10 gallon drink cooler. You know - the orange ones every construction truck has. Handles make it easy to carry, and the spigot makes it easy to drain.

Sounds crazy, but I use an Igloo 10 gallon drink cooler. You know - the orange ones every construction truck has. Handles make it easy to carry, and the spigot makes it easy to drain.

Doesn't sound crazy at all. I thought of those too.

A coffee urn or polycarbonate beverage dispenser spigot would work. Requires 1 hole, made for thin walled vessels. Draining would be a little slow though.
Use a hole saw or forstner bit rather than a twist drill.

Back