Cleaver based knife set question.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntsour

Reaction score
After trying a gyuto (takeda) and a nakiri (shigefusa ) for a year and recently getting a similar quality cleaver (Mizuno VC No6) I have confirmed that I am a cleaver guy.

So I now have three knives that widely overlap in functionality. At the same I am also interested in trying new stuff. Therefore, I am considering dropping the takeda or the shigefusa or both.

The only other knives I use are:
* a heavy Shibazi bone cleaver
* a cck small slicer
* a couple of small Henckels parers

Cheap and good enough for the use they get. I think I am covered there.

I am a home cook and cook both european and asian but nothing too fancy. So I am contemplating two simple scenarios:
a) 150mm utility, gyuto, cleaver. So basically keep the takeda or change it for something slimmer and get a petty.
b) 150mm utility, cleaver, suji. Drop both the takeda and the shigefusa and get a 270 suji and a petty.

What do you think? My budget is what I would get by selling the takeda and the shigefusa. I could chip in a little bit more probably. Let's say around 400USD.

I think you could would have much less overlap if you went utility/cleaver/suji than if you went utility/cleaver/gyuto. I think that between the three knives I listed first you could do just about anything bar breaking down fish.

Another cleaver guy here and also a home cook. I reduced my kit to cleavers and a couple of utility knives. And that´s it. I have given away my old knives over the years (a shun shantoku and a chef´s knife) and I have been very happy since then. I haven´t missed anything or felt that I need something else, in fact I think I have too many cleavers and I´ll probably sell the ones I use less in the future to make more room in the kitchen.

Regards

Long suji and a short, nimble petty sound like they would give you the most additional coverage and the least overlap.
You might also consider a honesuki or some type of small boning knife depending on what you do the most.

Im looking forward to your post in the BST section.

Do you really chop a lot of bones? I don't.

If you wanna go minimalist, you can just get a great full sized slicing cleaver, a paring knife, and leave it at that. Get a bread/bone/filet/cheese knife or whatever for what you eat a lot of.

That's all anyone really NEEDS to cook fantastic meals. 3 knives.

Latest posts

Back