Quantcast
Masamoto price increase is coming to JCK near you
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masamoto price increase is coming to JCK near you

Masamoto price increase is coming to JCK near you

Just noticed this message at Koki's Masamoto pages a couple of days ago.

Notice for price increase
    Due to the continuous devaluation of US Dollar against Japanese Yen, all of Masamoto knives’s prices will be increased from July 20th, 2012. Thank you for your understanding, and would suggest you to order before July 20th to ensure the current prices.
    Not sure how much this is gonna go up.

much more awesomer
    Yeah, this is what we were discussing a while back here and elsewhere. The dollar has fallen against the yen over the last five years, and it did get a bit weaker since 2010, but it has been trading in a fairly narrow range for the last 21 months. It's just about 80 yen to the dollar today, same as it was in early May, same as it was in early February (when I bought my KS). Were Japanese knife prices more expensive for the latter half of last year, heading into this year, when the dollar was consistently wallowing at around 77 yen? Did prices drop along with the dollar's rise when it recovered from 77 to 83 yen in six weeks from early February to late March? Are they now returning to the levels they were at for most of last year? Or have J-knife prices not changed since the dollar bought 100 yen three years ago and are thus due for a major correction?

Once again (and I'll defer yet again to those with more direct involvement -- wholesale trade instead of my retail purchases), unless prices haven't corrected in at least a couple of years, I'm not convinced the dollar's more recent dip has all that much to do with it.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Guess we are just going to have to buy American.

They saw Misono get away with it so they are too.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Yeah, this is what we were discussing a while back here and elsewhere. The dollar has fallen against the yen over the last five years, and it did get a bit weaker since 2010, but it has been trading in a fairly narrow range for the last 21 months. It's just about 80 yen to the dollar today, same as it was in early May, same as it was in early February (when I bought my KS). Were Japanese knife prices more expensive for the latter half of last year, heading into this year, when the dollar was consistently wallowing at around 77 yen? Did prices drop along with the dollar's rise when it recovered from 77 to 83 yen in six weeks from early February to late March? Are they now returning to the levels they were at for most of last year? Or have J-knife prices not changed since the dollar bought 100 yen three years ago and are thus due for a major correction?

Once again (and I'll defer yet again to those with more direct involvement -- wholesale trade instead of my retail purchases), unless prices haven't corrected in at least a couple of years, I'm not convinced the dollar's more recent dip has all that much to do with it.
    a lot of prices hadnt corrected in over 2 years (some had though). Many were set when the yen was trading at over 100 to the dollar.

Way back machine reveals that Koki's price has been like this since Jan '09

http://web.archive.org/web/200901012...kuhakukou.html

much more awesomer
    I was hoping you'd set me straight again.

I honestly didn't know the history of Japanese knife prices sold here before I became more interested late last year, so there you go.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    a lot of prices hadnt corrected in over 2 years (some had though). Many were set when the yen was trading at over 100 to the dollar.
    Thanks! My questions about the pricing history were honest (see my post above) so I'm glad one of the situations I suggested may be the reason.

OT: How do I get to the shop from LAX? The bus? Or are cabs cheap in LA?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

This bites, I like masamoto for off the shelf readily available knives of a decent price structure... oh well. Customs for the win...

much more awesomer
    Tristan, is Ya Kun Kaya at Far East Square open in the evening? I get in to Changi at around 7:30 and will need a fix.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

+ Reply to Thread