Quantcast
Masamoto price increase is coming to JCK near you - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masamoto price increase is coming to JCK near you

I'm quite sure they close at around 1900, or 7pm. There is one at Changi Airport Terminal 3 itself that is open 24hours though. I can't imagine the quality differing enough to bother with that detour. I speak for eggs and Kaya toast. The coffee and tea is a different thing though

lucky me.

Was thinking of your purchase when I posted. Have you received your suji yet?

I keep an eye...

It came off of plane on friday and today from 0533 hours is at the substation, so today or tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Once again (and I'll defer yet again to those with more direct involvement -- wholesale trade instead of my retail purchases), unless prices haven't corrected in at least a couple of years, I'm not convinced the dollar's more recent dip has all that much to do with it.
    A little birdy told me that it's not just the exchange rate that might cause price increases...

Local prices are going up due to two factors.

#1, steel prices have risen. Adds about 2% to the price of something, so very little and nobody would jack up the price over that.

#2, grinding wheel prices have risen by 40% over the past 5 years. If you've ever spent any time in workshop that makes Japanese blades, the one thing that stands out is that there are grinders and spare wheels EVERYWHERE, and they chew through them at a pretty brisk rate. If you need to place blame, that's where at least some of it lies.

Generally, prices remain fairly stable over here and increases are rare for stuff like this. The makers absorb a lot the yen-by-yen increases until it's just too much, and then there is a price jump and usually all folks in the same game follow suit all at about the same time. If you're really lucky, you get warning of the price hike before it arrives.

Now, I don't know that the two reasons I've written about there explain much or all of the above, but I'd bet a brown note (not what you think, unless you've spent money in Japan) that the two reasons there have at least some part to play in things.

(Likely, the local dealer has been able to cope with the yen/dollar difference, but after the yen price goes up, there's no way to avoid increasing the price in dollars. For reference, the plane maker I use had a price increase last week, one of the chisel makers will be September/October and I expect the rest of them to start increasing prices before the end of the year.)

Stu.

Sponsors
    We been spoiled by Japanese handmade knife prices for some time now, if you look for Eu or Us handmade prices you will see a huge price difference. Even that Japanese taxes and salaries is quite high
    So i think we will se a lot of price increases from Japanese side and i think its OK they have a lot more history behind sharp objects making

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    A little birdy told me that it's not just the exchange rate that might cause price increases...

Local prices are going up due to two factors.

#1, steel prices have risen. Adds about 2% to the price of something, so very little and nobody would jack up the price over that.

#2, grinding wheel prices have risen by 40% over the past 5 years. If you've ever spent any time in workshop that makes Japanese blades, the one thing that stands out is that there are grinders and spare wheels EVERYWHERE, and they chew through them at a pretty brisk rate. If you need to place blame, that's where at least some of it lies.

Generally, prices remain fairly stable over here and increases are rare for stuff like this. The makers absorb a lot the yen-by-yen increases until it's just too much, and then there is a price jump and usually all folks in the same game follow suit all at about the same time. If you're really lucky, you get warning of the price hike before it arrives.

Now, I don't know that the two reasons I've written about there explain much or all of the above, but I'd bet a brown note (not what you think, unless you've spent money in Japan) that the two reasons there have at least some part to play in things.

(Likely, the local dealer has been able to cope with the yen/dollar difference, but after the yen price goes up, there's no way to avoid increasing the price in dollars. For reference, the plane maker I use had a price increase last week, one of the chisel makers will be September/October and I expect the rest of them to start increasing prices before the end of the year.)

Stu.
    also, shipping costs have increased (even since i stated this business). But i think you underestimate the power of the currecny exchange. When i started JKI a couple years ago, the price of yen was pretty close to 100 yen to the dollar. It took a bath and dropped even as low as 74 (which gives a trading rate worse than that). 100 to 74 is a huge difference and it made a huge impact on the way i had to do things.

Uh yeah! I organized a group buy for fingerstones, and several people overpaid to leave a generous tip---one guy took an extra two days to pitch in his money, and I just went through with it after 1 day, covering his part of the cost. Why? Cause the exchange rate moved so severely overnight that we almost didn't have enough!!

Man I guess I should pick something up now.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    Man I guess I should pick something up now.
    +1

I think a Masamoto is in my near future...
    one man gathers what another man spills...

+ Reply to Thread