Couple of quick questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravy Power

Reaction score
Been working out my Bester 1200 grit and 5000 grit Japanese brand stone (from Dave's core kit). I have a flattening plate from Jon at JKI, and it's almost getting time to put it to use. Do I do this on a wet or dry stone?

When stopping, I have a kit from some guy in Virginia. How often do I need to put the spray on the bamboo strop? Is it every use?

Still haven't touched my Carter 7.5 HG Gyuto. Was thinking of stropping it tonight and using it for knife skills in class tomorrow. It's still pretty sharp, but I can tell it's lost a little. Still don't want to touch it on a stone, as it's OOTB edge is almost like it doesn't even have a bevel. Don't wont to screw it up.

Also, I did learn that you can screw up an edge that you've worked on without propper stropping. I had a nasty edge on my Shun Asian cooks knife, but after stropping the bottom half of the blade was all of the sudden not sharp to the touch. I think I must have folded the burr over the edge. Any tips?

TIA!

Also, one I forgot.
Received my cherry wood board and board butter from The Board Smith last week. Love it thus far. Is the board butter something I can use to protect my J knife handles?

Been working out my Bester 1200 grit and 5000 grit Japanese brand stone (from Dave's core kit). I have a flattening plate from Jon at JKI, and it's almost getting time to put it to use. Do I do this on a wet or dry stone?

It doesn't matter if you flatten a dry or soaked stone as long as you flush the surface of the stone and the plate fairly often. You can do this under running water if you want, but it can be wasteful. BTW, no stone is flat OOTB, so you should have flattened your new stones before using them for the first time.

When stopping, I have a kit from some guy in Virginia. How often do I need to put the spray on the bamboo strop? Is it every use?

Bamboo? Do you mean balsa? Anyway, reapply the spray when you notice that it has stopped working as well as it did when newly applied. I have a leather strop from Dave that is still on its initial application almost a year later. YMMV.

Still haven't touched my Carter 7.5 HG Gyuto. Was thinking of stropping it tonight and using it for knife skills in class tomorrow. It's still pretty sharp, but I can tell it's lost a little. Still don't want to touch it on a stone, as it's OOTB edge is almost like it doesn't even have a bevel. Don't wont to screw it up.

You won't get wide bevels unless you sharpen at a much more acute angle than was originally put on the knife, or the knife is in need of thinning behind the edge. Proper stropping may restore the performance of the edge back to how it shipped.

Also, I did learn that you can screw up an edge that you've worked on without propper stropping. I had a nasty edge on my Shun Asian cooks knife, but after stropping the bottom half of the blade was all of the sudden not sharp to the touch. I think I must have folded the burr over the edge. Any tips?

More likely you stropped at too high an angle and rounded it off. Be careful of this when you strop your Carter.

Rick

Thanks Tiger, really appreciate the advice!

(And yes, meant to say balsa)

Back