Quantcast
How do you retain a talented cook? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you retain a talented cook?

Everything above is correct. One other thing that's really basic (and could even be inferred from a few statements above) is to let the really good cooks occasionally get something of their own on the menu. Obviously this isn't something you'd want to do with every cook you have - but if they're not skilled enough to come up with at least one excellent dish that would fit your restaurant well, then they're not really good enough to worry too much about holding onto.

Also, if they ask for a raise, don't laugh at them. The owner of the last restaurant did that to me because he thought it was intimidating, instead of just explaining to me that he couldn't afford it... 5 minutes later he was begging me to at least finish out the weekend.

Respect. Show them respect, give them a chance to feel like there's a part of them on the menu, and let them work to advance in the kitchen as other people fall away. But yeah, as it's been said before, any one cook who doesn't at least seriously entertain thoughts of leaving your place for a better deal/bigger role is at the very least unambitious. Turnover is just the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by ams View Post
    I am a professional cook and I will say from experience never EVER deny a cook the opportunity to advance if he/she is motivated enough. It does nothing but frustrate them and they'll constantly be on Craigslist looking for the next position.
    This is why I left where I was. I asked a million times to move and do other things but the reply was always I don't have anyone that can do those 3 stations by themselves, so you are the guy. I also left because I am now a pastry chef at a very popular local place and that is a goal I wanted to accomplish

Dont lift his ego, it will make him want to leave more. Keep an open line of communication, being firm direct...all the time. Establish respect, and be the boss. Cooking is a counter intuitive process, cooks need to please someone other than themselves to be happy.
    -Noah Cowan

Japanese people say that employees tend to stay in one place if he/she has two out of the three important things in a work environment. The three importance are: People, Motivation (Incentive), and $

ok... there was something wrong in my translation. I meant this:

People, Spence of Reward (Satisfaction or Incentive), and $

No. i can't type right. I meant this: Scene of Reward (Satisfaction or Incentive)

I work in a sorta mid-level place and have worked there for 8 years. I had trials at 2 of the best restaurants in the country where I live not long ago and got offered less than half the pay I get now and I'd have to work 20 more hours a week for it. So much for ambition.

Fulfilment. The trick is picking the ones who's needs you can fulfill.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I work in a sorta mid-level place and have worked there for 8 years. I had trials at 2 of the best restaurants in the country where I live not long ago and got offered less than half the pay I get now and I'd have to work 20 more hours a week for it. So much for ambition.
    Ha! But you could argue that Britain has the strongest restaurant scene globally. Im not only talking London and any other city. You can find 3 rosette restaurants in total dumpholes.
    Or Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, not a hole you could say, near Oxford, but still pretty small place to accomodate two star Inn.

You remember the story of Hibiscus few years ago[2007-8?], they moved the whole restaurant from, uhm, Shropshire? to London just to be able to get the second star?

But thanks for reminding me, when I started in London, after my room was paid, I earned 1 pound per hour!

So yeah, sense of reward

Or the Walnut Tree Inn, from total nowhere in Wales?