Quantcast
Tomahawk Steak Recipe Needed - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tomahawk Steak Recipe Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    Every time I've seen a Cowboy cut it was fabricated from a standard bone in prime rib. For those of you who may have never seen a long bone rib it is in essence the whole rib primal with the short rib meat removed but the rib bones left intact and not cut short like a bone in rib eye sub-primal that is commonly sold in cryo. It's not a common cut and the bone is much longer than a cowboy steak. This is just for aesthetics but costs more as you are loosing the bone in short ribs.

Dave
    +1. The bone aspect would make sense moreso if people were doing a long slow cook and utilizing the marrow flavors, but that's not coming into play here. You're just paying for bone. I guess you could chop it off yourself and save it for stock ... expensive stock...

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    +1. The bone aspect would make sense moreso if people were doing a long slow cook and utilizing the marrow flavors, but that's not coming into play here. You're just paying for bone. I guess you could chop it off yourself and save it for stock ... expensive stock...
    Long and slow eh? When I go out to eat I often have the choice between the expensive bone in rib eye and the less expensive "standard" rib eye. I personally have never been able to taste the difference. I'm TOLD I can, but never actually have. Maybe this is why?

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Long and slow eh? When I go out to eat I often have the choice between the expensive bone in rib eye and the less expensive "standard" rib eye. I personally have never been able to taste the difference. I'm TOLD I can, but never actually have. Maybe this is why?

-AJ
    The bone just looks more impressive. You really need to do a long, low temp braise to notice the flavors that emanate from the bone. Like braised bone in short ribs. Not that I'm advocating braising your rib eye...

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I have tried both ways too. Both are good, but I can't really tell the difference, unless I am eating straight off the bone. I get a T-bone for that though.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post
    The only sauce I've used on ribeyes and strips of decent quality (nothing to compare to what you're cooking) has been fifteen year old balsamic vinegar reduced almost to a syrup and mounted with some excellent butter. The quality of the butter and the balsamic are crucial--use good stuff, or not at all.
    I made a high quality balsamic vinegar reduction about a month ago. I will try adding butter next time. Thanks for the tip.