Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now more confused than before....

First of all I would like to thank each and everyone that read my post and gave their opinion.
    I read carefully every word that you wrote.

I think that I am going to get de Masamoto VG, but not right now, maybe in a couple of months or more.

My sister lives in the states (i am from Argentina), my mother will visit her now (in fact she arrived today to her place in NY), but she will get back in June and again September. If I get the knife, I will have it shipped to her place.

Well, now I want to learn how to properly sharp my german knives, I used to sharp my old $10 knife with a stone bought on a hardware store.

I will keep on reading on this forum to learn what kind of stone I should get. I found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Whetsto...item588c8ef570

also, I read about the Sharpmaker and de Edge Pro, but it is way too expensive for my budget.

thanks to everyone again

guga

Your welcome! It sounds like you have a good plan, good luck!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

few but's...
    I cannot imagine a pro chef who doesnt treat his knife with respect and don't maintain it properly and still calls himself pro.
    For me it is not tool only, it is my friend in hard work and my arms extension.
    It have to be great quality, but still affordable.
    Are you trying to buy, for example, Milwaukee drill but with diamonds on the handle and marble body? Do you accomplish the job better with expensive knife, or with sharp one?

The other thing is, that if guga is in Argentina, he might not get decent sharpener close to him who could do the job. That leaves it to himself. And then its worth learning, even if its just way to make your knife usable, not a religion.

Buy any of them, they are all premium knives, and even after you use them, they have some resale value if you decide to trade up/sideways.