Sugimoto oms#6

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Anyone know if , aside from the better finish, handle and leather case thingie if there is a difference in the steel between the oms series and the regular cleavers from sugimoto. I inquired with Koki recently about the possibility of doing a special order and also asked about the difference in lines, here's what Koki could find out:

Sugimoto company explains, they do additional making process and care for OMS Series Chinese Cleaver and they also use purity Carbon steel material for OMS Chinese Cleaver. We regret they don't inform exact steel material (for avoiding other companies copying their products). Sugimoto makes OMS Series Chiense Cleaver as their top-grade line

So for those who have used the OMS range or just happen to know, is there any other difference between the two series'? Is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks? It's a lot of money to drop for a fancier #6 seeing as I already own the basic one, but it's tempting either way.

Cheers,
Josh

There has been some interest over the years, in the OMS series. The common question being what is the difference between the OMS and the standard cleavers? I asked that question multiple times to Andy. He owns a OMS #7. Typically his reply was to quote the Sigimoto website, about the OMS features. From our conversations, it sounded like the OMS series was made by the top craftsman, with upgraded materials. Both cleavers are based on the same design. I don't know if there would be any difference in how they cut.

Andy is doing some work on my #7, maybe he can share his observations on the difference, between the two cleavers.

Jay

Back