Quantcast
Hello all, need help choosing first knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello all, need help choosing first knife

Hello all, need help choosing first knife

Hello everyone, I have been reading a fair bit about knives lately but I have gotten to the point where i would appreciate feedback from members who have actually used knives before. I will be moving to england for a year and will be on my own so I have a very small budget and need to get the very basics. I have been looking at ebay since most places in toronto are over priced. I am looking at picking up a chefs knife and a paring knife, as I should be able to do everything with those. I have zero skill cutting and very little skill cooking but I am learning slowly.

The following are knives ive been looking at:

YAMAWAKU water proof chestnut Gyuto chef knife Houchou210- Around $69, plus shipping if I want it registered.
    -appears to be a great price for what you get
    -blue steel
    -length at 210
    -handle

Japanese Hideyuki Tanaka stainless silver3 chef knife hand forged pear Gyuto 180-US $53.33 plus shipping if I want it registered.
    -price
    -still good steel
    -kind of small
    -a negative is the lack of a full tang

Japanese Kazuki Tanaka 16 Damascus blue st JP chef knife Gyutou 180mm HRC63+ $85 plus shipping if I want it registered.
    -pretty
    -vg-10
    Negatives:
    - price
    -kind of small

I.O Shen- 270mm -around 66
    -handle looks neat
    -price is great for the size
    -cons- metal is unknown, i have searched and havent found much on the knives if anything at all, other than they are popular in Britain

Zhen Japanese Steel Gyuto Chef Beef Cutting Knife 9.5in【Z014M-2-95】- price 45 and up depending on bid, plus 10 shipping
    -vg-10 core
    -I have found reviews for this, seems pretty good
    -decent sharpness
    -price may be great depending on what it ends at
    negative
    -made in taiwan

Zhen Japanese Cooking Chef Knife 8" - price 35 and up buy it now is 50 something plus 10 shipping
    -vg-10 core
    -I have found reviews for this, seems pretty good
    -decent sharpness
    -price may be great depending on what it ends at
    negative
    -made in taiwan

tojiro japanese knife sushi chef dp cobalt alloy steel gyuto 210mm sanjo japan-100 including shipping
    cons- price

May consider a CCK cleaver, there is an official distributor at a nearby mall- i think their around $40

Pairing Knife:
    victorinox- $5.25- i can get this local
    maybe a henckels twin master yellow handle paring knife- price unknown
    I know both will be stamped, but I have a hard time justifing the extra expense right now.

I know I will get asked about sharpening so here it goes.
    -I have little money for stones so I have been using 400, 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper taped to glass so its perfectely flat. i then have been following up with cleaning/polishing compound (its green) on mdf board that I had lying around. (makeshift strop).
    -I picked up a cheap 9inch steel which I havent used yet.
    -I have practiced on a few knives now and although I have been getitng better, still cannot get razor sharp. i can get the knives to slice paper easily, but cannot shave at all.
    -I probably dont have any money for a stone, but if i did it would probably come from lee valley.
    -i was instead thinking of getting some diamond film from lee valley as its cheap and light, and i already need to fit a ton of crap into one suitcase. What grit would be good to get.

I am looking for anyones advice as i am new to the world of knives and simply looking to get the best deal for my dollar. I appreciate everyone taking the time to read this lengthy post.

I would get an FKM series gyuto here: http://japanesechefsknife.com/FujiwaraKanefusa.html. It is a nice cutter. It sharpens up easily. Edge holding is okay. It's stainless and inexpensive. Shipping to the US is a few bucks. I would imagine it's the same for you.

I appreciate the response, the fkm is $82 usd shipped. This is really at the upper limits of what I willing to spend. Also isnt the steel worse then the blue carbon #2 for edge retention and sharpness or the vg-10? Do you happen to know anything about the I.O. Shen metal?

I have zero skill cutting and very little skill cooking but I am learning slowly.
    just buy a pair of Forschners, then.

The Zhen is good value for $45.(I have the 300mm version). They'll probably chuck in a rubber handled parer as well.

I feel the Zhen is the right price for me, now if I could just get it for the 45 plus 10 shipping. Would still like to know more about the I.O. Shen though. I am working on my cutting skills, as I have been watching videos, and I dont feel the victorinox will hold the edge I want.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    found some kind of write up here http://www.cooksknivesshop.co.uk/Kni...EN_Knives/1223

I did a write up on my zhen 300 http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...)-Gyuto-Review
    I use it just about every day. I have since put a better edge on. for the price not bad at all. But if you are just learning cooking and sharpening I would go with a old carbon. You can't beat the edge it will hold, and also give you some good knife up keep skills. Good luck on the hunt.

Oh ya Welcome to the forum. Please let us know what you end up with.
    Chewie's the man.

you could definitely get a much better knife if you just found a way to raise your budget to atleast $130 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by joe88 View Post
    I feel the Zhen is the right price for me, now if I could just get it for the 45 plus 10 shipping. Would still like to know more about the I.O. Shen though. I am working on my cutting skills, as I have been watching videos, and I dont feel the victorinox will hold the edge I want.
    what are you sharpening with?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Also what cutting board are you using?
    Chewie's the man.

+ Reply to Thread