Quantcast
your taste in handles on Japanese knives - a vote? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: your taste in handles on Japanese knives - a vote?

  1. #51
    Senior Member Johnny.B.Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,956
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictforLife View Post
    It's marko, love most of the handle he put out.
    I have never seen a handle by Marko that I wouldn't be happy to own.

    Quote Originally Posted by AddictforLife View Post
    Might get a custom from in the future when I stop being a cheap bum?
    I don't think the line will ever be shorter nor the cost lower than it is right now!

  2. #52
    Senior Member Salty dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Caledonia
    Posts
    1,888
    For an "exhibition" grade knife fancy is fine.

    But for my "working" knives I prefer "D" ho wood handles. Not only for practicality but mostly for function.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    For an "exhibition" grade knife fancy is fine.

    But for my "working" knives I prefer "D" ho wood handles. Not only for practicality but mostly for function.
    I too like D better than octagonal, though I like them in hardwoods.

    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach, California
    Posts
    931
    This thread seems to have morphed a bit, but it is a difference between plain handles and burl, I definitely vote burl.

    That being said, I am a little confused on the camps here. Personally I prefer a solid burl look, something with character and depth. I have seen a lot of things that might fall in the simple category that I don't like at all, two tones that (to me) clash horribly. Normally it is the non-burl woods that are combined to apparently clash, but I do not find it pleasing to the eye. I am failing at recalling a burl on burl combination, but I agree that would probably be busy.

    With the 3 combinations, I normally prefer a simple, cleaner look. A nice wood (probably burl), silver spacer or the like, and a black or simple ferrule that fits the wood.

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    99Limited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LVW, Manchester, NJ
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    ... I am failing at recalling a burl on burl combination, but I agree that would probably be busy.
    You should thumb through Mike Henry's Handles thread down in the "Show Your Work" subforum. Mike has put together some pretty nice burl on burl combinations. Now I do admit you'll also find some that probably will not be your cup of tea.

  6. #56
    Senior Member Salty dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Caledonia
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I too like D better than octagonal, though I like them in hardwoods.

    M

    Depending on the blade.

    I am becoming a member of the "feel as little handle" club. Mostly because of the work I'm currently doing.

    Exotic handles are cool, no doubt but you won't find them in my kitchen.

    But there are a couple in the closet.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Depending on the blade.

    I am becoming a member of the "feel as little handle" club. Mostly because of the work I'm currently doing.

    Exotic handles are cool, no doubt but you won't find them in my kitchen.

    But there are a couple in the closet.
    I was thinking along of cocobolo or ebony. The weigh difference between ho and these hardwood wold be in the area of 50 gram, changing the total weight from 170g to about 220g. The balance would still be forward.

    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  8. #58
    Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I was thinking along of cocobolo or ebony. The weigh difference between ho and these hardwood wold be in the area of 50 gram, changing the total weight from 170g to about 220g. The balance would still be forward.

    M
    Cocobolo is and will remain for some time my favorite wood for handles and saya. I'm always disheartened at the trash talk it receives, but if ever I come upon the money to enjoy a Marko made knife and saya, cocobolo will undoubtedly be an element.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •