Quantcast
Summer project - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer project

I use a pointed metal punch to mark the metal rivets in the middle of the rivet. This helps to keep the drill bit from wandering too much. I then drill out the rivets with a drill press; I use a 1/4"-3/8" bit so when I drill the middle, I drill the head off of the rivet and I can drive out the shaft of the rivet. I drill the rivet from each side. The second generation of Artifex, once the rivets are out, the handle scales should come off easily. The first generation of the Artifex had the handles epoxied on as well; I used an old chisel to pop them off. The second generation has a dark grey/silver/black grip and the first generation had a matte black grip.

Once the handle is off, a Belt Sander or Dremel tool will work to reduce the tang in width.

Taz,
    Thank you very much for the information. I will try to remove the handle next ween on my day off.

You seems to knife about the Artifex, have you try to rehandle it yourself?

I've done 6 rehandles of the Artifex so far and I am going to try a Wa style conversion on the next one

Do show when you do it, I'm sure we'd all love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz575 View Post
    I've done 6 rehandles of the Artifex so far and I am going to try a Wa style conversion on the next one

It will be in the Hobbyist forum when I do it.

Wow Taz that is nice. If everything gone well, I want to do some rehandle my Hiromoto AS.
    I think I have done it the other way around. I should have rehandle western style than conversion Wa....
    dang

Hi guys, I got some problem, how do you make the hole for the blade to stick to the handle?
    I tried to drill it with 7/64" drill but it only goes about 2-3" deep. how long it is required to hold 240mm blade?