Quantcast
Just pick my damn gyuto please - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Just pick my damn gyuto please

Quote Originally Posted by bluntcut View Post
    ...there are at least 2x C atom/volume when compare to Cr...
    I didn't realize percentages were by volume. I figured they were by mass.

They are. 3% carbon is 3 weight percent.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I didn't realize percentages were by volume. I figured they were by mass.
    Initially, I tried to fit the carbide formula by mass but there seem not enough Cr atoms since Cr is 4x atomic mass of C. Oh well, AJ said by mass, it's then. Maybe a chemist or metallurgist can help here.

Hehe, and poor Meagan only asked for a recommendation I love this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    Zdp-189 is 20% chromium - higher than even 440C stainless (16-18%)! So yes, it is a stainless steel
    and it's locked up in carbides, as has been mentioned. the stuff is semi-stain resistant, tops.

I understand that the carbon trapped in iron carbides can vary up to ~1%. Also, Mo, V and W in zdp are strong carbide formers. I'd still say zdp is stainless although it's clearly not as stainless as most others.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I understand that the carbon trapped in iron carbides can vary up to ~1%. Also, Mo, V and W in zdp are strong carbide formers. I'd still say zdp is stainless although it's clearly not as stainless as most others.
    the ZDP knife i owned, a Henckels Cermax 240 gyuto (a knife i would certainly own again), formed a grey patina eventually, and i didn't own it for that long before selling it to a friend.

All I have to say is... WOW

Quote Originally Posted by meagan_myers View Post
    All I have to say is... WOW
    And this ain't even NOTHING yet. Wait till these guys REALLY get started!

Not to short-change that process, but I'll just throw in my $.02. EVERY steel will eventually rust if left in standing water long enough. Sure, you could wait until we arrive at a consensus about what steel will last the absolute LONGEST in that water before rusting, but I'll instead just advise to please please try not to leave the knife in the sink for that long... Seems easier than finding a special non-steel-super-metal Kitchen Knife. So, if you please please DON'T leave the knife in standing water for long periods of time, and TRY not to let it sit dirty for more than a day and there's likely little true damage you can do to most blades.

Here's a strategy that might help make that happen, and that's getting the blingiest nicest looking knife possible. My Corolla, for instance, is currently covered in dirt and bird, uh, "leavings". I guarantee you the case would be different if it were a Maserati rather than a Corolla, you know?

SO, long story short (too late!) my advice would be this:
    1.) Decide if you want a western or Wa shaped handle.
    2.) Find a relatively inexpensive blade ($120 -$150ish) with good steel like a Konosuke Stainless or a Yosuke Stainless, or a great deal on a used stainless on this forum.
    3.) Depending on your handle choice, post back here to find someone able to do a BEAUTIFUL custom handle for you in incredibly gorgeous wood.

With a knife like that, there is NO WAY you'll neglect it!

You know what, I actually have a Stainless Ginga out with Dave for a rehandle that I was intending to sell once it's done anyway. Dave's a bit backed up, though, so that might be longer than you want to wait.

+ Reply to Thread