Quantcast
Just pick my damn gyuto please - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Just pick my damn gyuto please

LOL even for us, it is very rare to get this technical on a suggestion thread.

Quote Originally Posted by meagan_myers View Post
    All I have to say is... WOW
    Yeah...no kidding!

Here's my recommendation - Hiromoto G3 or Hiromoto AS, they are about $145 & $160 respectively (for the 240's) here: http://japanesechefsknife.com/products.html

The G3 is the stainless version, and the AS is stainless clad SuperBlue ....
    My experience: I have the AS in a suji, so it sees a different work load than a gyuto, but it's been one of the best intro or 2nd J-knives for us knife knuts for years, and for 'sexy-ness" the core steel in the edge will patina a bluish tint which gives the knife a alook you won't see elsewhere.
    I picked up a G3 gyuto to serve as a beater at my Baja beach house and it is a really nice bang for the buck, all around knife, and really - I could sell the watanabe, tadatsuna, carter, and all the rest, and be "OK" with the G3. ( I won't, but I could...I keep telling myself that).
    Finally - everybody should have the experience of buying from Koki at JCK - nothing wrong with Jon at JKI or Dave who runs this site, they too are awesome, but Koki set the standard. That leaves a bit of room on your budget and you have two choices. Get your new knife and run away from this site....OR hang around and we'll help you make those excess dollars, and a lot of their friends, disappear!

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    the ZDP knife i owned, a Henckels Cermax 240 gyuto (a knife i would certainly own again), formed a grey patina eventually, and i didn't own it for that long before selling it to a friend.
    My ZDP (a Kono), although used very little, has a slight patina.

FWIW - I thought the Hattori HD was a good suggestion.

Ok. Just to clarify. I am not looking for a knife that can soak in water. That was a one time mistake of my husband.

Ok. Just to clarify. I am not looking for a knife that can soak in water. That was a one time mistake of my husband.
    I believe they get that, but the recommendations so far are all excellent knives that can't/shouldn't be soaked in water:>)

And if you make your husband read through this thread, I bet he never soaks another knife in water...
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    You know what, I actually have a Stainless Ginga out with Dave for a rehandle that I was intending to sell once it's done anyway. Dave's a bit backed up, though, so that might be longer than you want to wait.
    I'd take him up on this.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooMajik View Post
    I'd take him up on this.
    +1

Light, thin, stainless and should take a get edge. The new handle will certainly give it a nice bling factor.

I haven't used Gesshin Ginga yet, but I've heard so much positive feed back I'm going to have to grab one eventually. Plus Dave's new shoes for it should be spiffy
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Man, this is why I am having such a problem. There are too many fine J-knives.
    If only I could see them in person.

Man, this is why I am having such a problem. There are too many fine J-knives.
    If only I could see them in person.
    Depending on where you are located, there are likely members not too far away with knives you could look at...or vendors for that matter.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

+ Reply to Thread