Just pick my damn gyuto please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meagan_myers

Reaction score
Ok. So I am not a knife expert. I have looked through the forums and I am overwhelmed. I am wanting to get a 240 or more preferably a 270 gyuto for under $300. My current knife inventory includes several messermeister knifes (about 10 years old). My first "japanese" style knife was a MAC MTH-80. I realized then I never would buy a german knife again. My husband got me a Shun classic 10" chef knife for Christmas about two years ago and it is not holding up well. I am now looking to upgrade. I am not the friendliest person when it comes to knives.:O I am more interested in real quality, sharpness and durability than the name. Damascus does turn me on on.

There are a few knives that have caught my attention, like the JCK Hattori FH series and HD series, The Blazen 270, the ******** Laser etc. The Blazen and the ******** seem to be out of stock right now (**** website).

So, how would you spend my $300?

Welcome!

Anything you buy will need sharpening, so I would spend 200 on a nice J-knife (plenty of options here depending on profile, handle, etc...) and 100 on a nice combo stone. You can spend a few hours watching videos (good ones you can link to here), practice on your old knives, and always have an extremely sharp knife that will put a smile on your face.
As to not being good to your knives, buy stainless--and more than that, try to change your habits or you will always be frustrated by the edges of your knives.

Well, I got the **** from **** for about****. I was really ***** with that...

Is anyone else seeing how unhelpful this whole censorship thing is?

-AJ

+1 what is happening to the Shun? No knife will withstand abuse.

[video=youtube;9ouGq8TNtIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ouGq8TNtIo[/video]

Anyone know when Butcher & Baker will have Pierre's knife back up for sale? Might be a good fit here...

It doesn't bother me.

If you're looking for something that would be a big upgrade over the shun, check out the gesshin ginga line at JKI.

Well, this is probably frowned upon, but I have the Chef's Choice 1520 for sharpening.

As far as the Shun goes.... My husband left it in water while I was away on business. It pitted out pretty big chunks off the blade. I was actually pretty shocked on how bad it looked. I was unable to sharpen it out. I will have to have a professional take care of it. I am now exploiting my husband's guilt and buying myself a new knife.:biggrin:

I am not horrible when it comes to knifes. I just don't pamper them. Sometimes I won't wash a knife immediately (or within a day), but I don't leave them in water. I guess I should probably stick to stainless.

The Laser knife I was talking about is a R+chmond

stick to stainless if you cant comit to take care of it like a baby. now a steel that is very cool is ZDP-189 witch is stainless powdersteel at 67 or 68 in HRC now that can sound scary cuz normaly this hard steel chips easly but not with this steel. Miyabi 7000mcd use this steel with 132 layers of damascus but thay only got a 8" gyuto.. i paid 250$ NIB got lucky and you might find a good deal to. or even another brand with zdp-189.
2012-07-10133933_resized.jpg

2012-07-10134212_resized.jpg

I just have a few questions in order to possibly narrow down your choices.

First, do you intend to use this knife for everything, including vegetable prep and chopping chicken bones? Basically, how rough are you with your knives?

Second, do you want a Western handled knife such as the Mac and Hattori, or a Japanese style handled knife such as the Shun? Do you prefer one or the other for more sturdy tasks?

Third, how important is Damascus to you?

Thanks.

Well, I got the **** from **** for about****. I was really ***** with that...

Is anyone else seeing how unhelpful this whole censorship thing is?

-AJ

We censor inappropriate words and specific business links (or words that are used in their links) because some businesses are not welcome to benefit here at KKF. These businesses set the relationship tone between us - we are simply reacting to what they have done and/or still do. This situation will not change nor will complaining about it. The poster (Birnando) clearly knows that he's stirring the pot by making that post and I want him and everyone else to know that this behavior isn't welcome here.

As to the original poster being censored, well that's unfortunate. Again, we are simply reacting to a situation to which we are forced to deal with.

+1 to Eamon on the Butcher and Baker knives. I think they will suit you very well.

Dam can't find the page anymore.

I will use this knife for most things, except cutting into bones and slicing bread.
I think I prefer a western handle, but I don't mind a rounded wa handle like the Shun.
Damascus isn't that important. I just find it sexy.

ZDP-189 is definitely NOT stainless. Any steel will stain eventually, and I have a ZDP-189 pocketknife that I've put through the ringer and it definitely rusts and pits faster than VG-10. If her VG-10 Shun Classic pitted, I guarantee a ZDP-189 will rust even faster.

She has a lot of choices, in knives for her 300 dollar mark.

BTW, you can't go wrong with the Blazen. It is an amazing blade. If your husband leaves it dunked in water, it too will rust or pit.

I would recommend calling Jon at Japanese Knife Imports. For your budget, you could get two excellent knives from him like the Suisin or Yoshihiro and something else. You know, just in case one of your knives ends up in the sink again.

They pulled Pierre's and Randy's page is what I was saying.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have a lot more researching to do.
As far as my husband goes....He will not be doing that again!

Konosuke Swedish Stainless or HD.
Very sexxxy knives indeed...

I would recommend calling Jon at Japanese Knife Imports. For your budget, you could get two excellent knives from him like the Suisin or Yoshihiro and something else. You know, just in case one of your knives ends up in the sink again.

+1 on this. Jon is really good at what he does and he's honest. There are many expensive things in his store that I've wanted and he's implicitly steered me away every time because it wouldn't be a good fit for my skill level. I would contact him if I were you.

Yes Jon has a rep. for getting a good fit for what you are looking for.

Back