Japanese Knives Behind the scenes at JKI

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
Theres a lot of stuff that goes on here behind the scenes at JKI that most customers will never have the chance to see. Sara and I are always working hard to bring in the best products, improve on what we have, and continue to expand our knowledge and experience. I thought it might be nice to share some of these moments with you guys from time to time.

As a rule, we have always tested out products from every line we carry. In addition, we have developed a number of lines over the last couple of years. You guys only see the finished products most of the time, but often we go through a number of prototypes that never see the light of day. This is true for both knives and stones we carry (as well as some other things we've got around). Anyways, here's a picture just for fun...

Side by side testing of two different heat treatments... i'm trying to figure out what kind of heat treatment offers the best kind of balance with regard to the properties i am looking for...

256410_10150959318218860_1596160598_o.jpg

(these blades are prototypes and dont reflect the normal levels of fit and finish we strive for)

In the last 2 weeks, we've got in 6 new prototypes for testing ;)

nice. It is even cooler that you have makers that will work with you in that regard.

Neat. Your effort behind the scenes is shown in the products and service that we do see.

Clearly they are busy because it takes a while to get email responses!

:bat:

Not b!tching, though. I appreciate the attention to detail and passion for the product they seem to have. If I had a knive sales business, I'd want it to be like theirs. Well done!

Jon and Sara have ALWAYS been responsive to queries and courteous in the process when dealing with me. I would assume your experience was an isolated event.

Jon and Sara have ALWAYS been responsive to queries and courteous in the process when dealing with me. I would assume your experience was an isolated event.

nope... we're running slower than before... its crazy busy and can sometimes take us a couple of days to get back to e-mails. Thats why i tell people calling is the fastest and best way to get ahold of me if its possible.

Sorry to everyone thats waiting for a response from me by the way. I'm doing my best. Sadly, there's just one of me and a lot of you ;)

Cool! Please do share more behind-the-scenes photos and stories.

nope... we're running slower than before... its crazy busy and can sometimes take us a couple of days to get back to e-mails. Thats why i tell people calling is the fastest and best way to get ahold of me if its possible.

Sorry to everyone thats waiting for a response from me by the way. I'm doing my best. Sadly, there's just one of me and a lot of you ;)

i think everybody here is glad that it's this way, and not the other way around. congrats on the success!

Ok... I thought Jon was literally going to talk about something just so random at JKI.

Here's something I think is pretty funny at JKI (yes, ONLY behind the scenes - we normally keep it very very very "professional" and "serious" in the store).

Heavy lifting.
img1867r.jpg

Hide and peak.
img2033g.jpg

I like Jon's bike helmet hanging off the filing cabinet ;)

yes, that helmet is his absolute favorite. he doesn't even allow me to touch that pink helmet.

I like Jon's bike helmet hanging off the filing cabinet ;)

I figured he had to wear that around the shop after drinking the 10 beers he had already polished off on top of the cabinet.

Didn't I hear him say he is going to wear that helmet at WCG?

I think he did say that. He also has a matching bike that he rides all over Venice....

-Chuck

He is so ready to wear this pink helmet to ride the matching bike. Also He has pink knee protection pads too. :ubersexy:

Good! The more safety equipment the better, even if it's all cute and pink. Lord knows what the knife world would do if the man fell off his bike and injured himself.

He is so ready to wear this pink helmet to ride the matching bike. Also He has pink knee protection pads too. :ubersexy:

My spies tell me that Jon is in secret negotiation with Dave, attempting to have Sara banned. :wink:

My spies tell me that Jon is in secret negotiation with Dave, attempting to have Sara banned. :wink:

But that's not how you should treat your wife! I mean, you should already see how Mrs Broida is forced to spend her time at the shop, cooped up between display cases like someone wanting to escape. Frankly, it must frighten the customers.

I'm always some steps ahead of Jon... I make him believe he is a boss, and what I tell him to do is his idea. :joec:

I'm pretty sure I would not fit between these two display cases. Thinking about it, I may be as wide as one of them ;) good to see the 'behind the scenes' pics!

Stefan

I'm always some steps ahead of Jon... I make him believe he is a boss, and what I tell him to do is his idea. :joec:

Nice one!

Why don't you just come out and declare yourself boss then make him pose for photos between display cases?

...those cases were expensive! What I should do is to have him clean them up, not squeeze him in between them!

Latest posts

Back