Japanese Knives My favorite food/places in Yamagata, Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara@JKI

Reaction score
There are so much to see (and eat) in my home town, Yamagata, and I though you might find it interesting to see some of my food and art related photos I have from the latest trip to Japan. Not so knife related, but I guessed that people with cool knives are interested in food and art in general as well :angel2:

Most of these places are my family friends' and they do such a great job... We both miss these places all of the time. If you know places similar to these in the U.S. (ideally in LA), please let us know.... we have such a bad cravings so very often :shocked3:

@Nyoi in Sakata
img3184m.jpg

img3149l.jpg

@Rabi
img3105o.jpg

... can't remember the name of this sushi place... but please take a notice at one of those rolls with maguro sticking out
img3126i.jpg

@Kanro in Yamagata (city)
img0414q.jpg

img0412ej.jpg

@Iseki-san's
img0326e.jpg

@Tamakan, Sakata
img2590ys.jpg

img2593ov.jpg

img2583gs.jpg

img2580y.jpg

... from random places around my house
img2660ur.jpg

@my nephew's school (healthy school lunch - they never use the same menu throughout the year. great benefit of having its own nutritionist and cooks there at school)
img0486f.jpg

@my sister's gallery
img2609xr.jpg

img2608x.jpg

img2612s.jpg

Just had Unadon last weekend. Thanks for the post. Looks good.

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful pics, bring em on!

I think eel for unajyu (unajyu comes in a square box, and unajyu is in a round bowl) is grilled, and has very thick source on it... they are sweet and tasty. I used to hate the skin, but after eating at Tamakan I overcame the fear of eel skin.

Eel's bone fries was uber great, crunchy and salty :cheffry:

someone please open up a unajyu restaurant here in LA!

That one sound great too. The one I was wondering about is.
img2580y.jpg

Thank you for posting such beautiful pics. Just tried some eel a few months ago, and am now really interested in it.

I am craving hone senbei now. Thanks for sharing the pictures of great food.

There is some really nasty frozen (with sauce sachet) instant microwaveable unajyu available here. And I think the low rent restaurants serve that too. It is urgh.

But the good stuff at mid tier and above restaurants is a few cuts above. Those pictures look yummy. What is that bird dish and the glutinuous rice ball? Never seen 'normal' japanese food like that.

the bird dish is squab from the last time i ate at that place... its a french restaurant. The rice balls are from a chinese restaurant. They usually have meat inside.

.... Jon and I had very different courses at Rabi (a little French place)... Mine was more vegetable and less meat. I think the owner of the restaurant rightfully guessed I was fearful of the hand (leg?) on Jon's plate.

There is some really nasty frozen (with sauce sachet) instant microwaveable unajyu available here. And I think the low rent restaurants serve that too. It is urgh.

But the good stuff at mid tier and above restaurants is a few cuts above. Those pictures look yummy. What is that bird dish and the glutinuous rice ball? Never seen 'normal' japanese food like that.

Jon tries to keep it secret, but I keep seeing his "microwaveable unajyu" deep in our freezer too.... I'm too scared to even try them :(

Latest posts

Back