Quantcast
Favorite Touch Up Stone for Work - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Touch Up Stone for Work

my touchups are w/ a strop usually, but sometimes I'll dip into the arashiyama 6000.

Gesshin 5000 splash and go stays at work and I keep the 1000 splash and go to touch up a few of my employees knives. They both do a great job at what I need from them.

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by aser View Post
    my touchups are w/ a strop usually, but sometimes I'll dip into the arashiyama 6000.
    Ditto with the Arashiyama, which I'll also use for light strops

What compound do you guys like on the strops for touching up at work?

What is it you like about the arashiyama?

Somewhat off topic, has anyone tried the $20 stone flattener available on the dishonorable website (speaking of dishonorable, can we get a seppuku emoticon--would be awesome, unless its culturally offensive).
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

Quote Originally Posted by JanusInTheGarden View Post
    The Arashiyama is available on the dubious asterisk website ********** and I don't know where else. But luckily I got mine in Tokyo, not too long ago, and recommended by a shopkeeper and so I'm free to like it. After purchase, I was happy to find out it's fairly well-known and well-regarded.

Hmm... I'm no sharpening scientist like many here (yet) but I'd say somehow this stone felt comfortable right away - smooth of course and a bit gentle and forgiving, which is good for learners like myself. I remember a bit from what I read about it after, and my experience has been consistent. It does its work pretty quickly and builds up a healthy slurry which I think then breaks down a bit and so if you continue it seems to go from 6000 to a higher grit, finer finish - somewhat like natural stones work, I believe.

As I don't have any stopping stuff I've used this, just with a bit of water. Has worked fine.

dishonorable? what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by JanusInTheGarden View Post
    What compound do you guys like on the strops for touching up at work?

Somewhat off topic, has anyone tried the $20 stone flattener available on the dishonorable website (speaking of dishonorable, can we get a seppuku emoticon--would be awesome, unless its culturally offensive).

here we go again...

Mizuyama 6K (SP?)

what is a touch up?

It means minor maintenance, to correct small imperfections. Comes from putting some paint on a finger and skipping the brush, just dabbing it where it needs it, thus "touching up" the paint.

So a touch up stone would be what you would use to repair an edge that has not failed, but has somewhat dulled.