KKF in Japan with Korin Tour

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I had a long LONG meeting yesterday with Ms. Kawano to discuss all of the ideas to improve and fun things to try. One of the ideas she was very keen on trying out was taking members of the KKF on a tour of Japan. :thumbsup:

We haven't hammered out details yet, but this is what we do know:
1. Korin people giving the tour will probably be myself, Vincent (Mr. Sugai's apprentice), and Ms. Kawano.
2. The trip will be during the spring, because it's the most beautiful time of the year and it's also the cheapest time to fly.
3. It will be our pleasure to meet you in Japan, translate for you, and tour you around to different areas of Japan without any sort of tour guide fee. However, we do ask that you provide for your own transportation, food, entertainment and hotel.
4. Ms. Kawano will contact a travel agency to get the best package deal and finalize everything.
5. It will be a week long tour.
6. We will go to Kyoto (tourist fun), Sakai (Osaka) , and Tokyo.

But just so we don't make a tour of places you wouldn't want to go, where would you like to go in Japan?
We will, of course, go to Sakai to see knife makers at work.

Oh... And who would actually be interested in going?

Thanks for reading! :)

Mari:

That sounds like a wonderful idea. I will be in Kyoto next April 2-11 -- the peak of the cherry blossom bloom is, on average, April 7th -- and would be grateful to meet with you.

I had trouble getting good flights and hotel room even this early. I suggest you get your plans done as quickly as possible.

Keith

Mari:

That sounds like a wonderful idea. I will be in Kyoto next April 2-11 -- the peak of the cherry blossom bloom is, on average, April 7th -- and would be grateful to meet with you.

I had trouble getting good flights and hotel room even this early. I suggest you get your plans done as quickly as possible.

Keith

Thats awesome! Cherry blossom are GORGEOUS around that time. I was there this past April, but I was a few days too early and missed it. (It didn't help that there was a typhoon there too, so everything that was in bloom got blown away. ::cry:: Oh well.)

Sounds good, we will try to plan accordingly and rally a few people to join with those dates in mind. I will keep you posted on more details once I make the itinerary and Ms. Kawano talks to her travel agency friends :)

Thanks for the heads up!

Mari

I would be very interested in such a trip. One idea would be to also visit natural stone dealers and/or mines. This was part of Murray Carters trip itinerary and seemed like a fantastic excursion.

Thanks Eric

Wow what a great idea!

Dave

You should join us~! It will be great fun, and I'll try to make an itinerary according to what everyone would like to see other than knife venders and the obvious blade related places. :D

Mari

I would be very interested in such a trip. One idea would be to also visit natural stone dealers and/or mines. This was part of Murray Carters trip itinerary and seemed like a fantastic excursion.

Thanks Eric

Awesome! I will keep you posted on everything. :)
Wow thats an amazing idea! I'll see what I can do about visiting natural stone mines.

Thank you thank you.

I went to hanami in Ueno Koen on April 9, the peak day this year for sakura in downtown Tokyo and it was incredible! I'd gladly go back.

I would be very interested in that trip, pending actual logistics and life - but tentatively it would be something i would try my best to make

Back