Passaround Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitonboy

Reaction score
I liked the Cut Brooklyn passaround so much (so far) that I was wondering if there were other knives that held that much interest. I am proposing that we make suggestions and we will go from there. Obviously, long waiting-list items like a Kramer might be interesting but I can't get my hands one one if I wanted to. Anyway, suggest away:cool2:

I've wanted to try a heiji for awhile now, especially after seeing them at the ECG.

I am going to JKI next week while on holiday, so suggestions involving their merchandise would be especially apt (I don't NEED another knife but I know I'm going to buy something)

Wow, lucky you. I'm sure no one can make suggestions better then Jon plus you will get a chance to handle the knives in person which is a major up side. You can always use another knife that's part of the fun of Japanese knives they are so specialized there's always a few you don't own yet!

I have been curious about Nenox since I first saw one.

If you want to wait a couple months, I've actually got that one. I'm just having fun with it for now, so I need to wait a while before I send it away on holiday.

Taylor, if that works for you sometime in the future, definitely on board here.

Any initial impressions of the knife?
Last time I checked, couldn't seem to find any reviews on this one yet....

Taylor, if that works for you sometime in the future, definitely on board here.

Any initial impressions of the knife?
Last time I checked, couldn't seem to find any reviews on this one yet....

A quick overview of the knife is: thin behind the edge, bevel set on knife when received was amazing, and f&f was some of the best I've seen on a knife in this price range. Performance was between my DT gyuto and gengetsu I received at the same time. Balance was very forward of the ferule, but seemed to go with the knife perfectly. Initial edge degraded fairly quickly, though I have yet to resharpen it, I want to reach for this knife first when I'm making something new.

Yep, the Fujiwara that Jon carries, and Japan Woodworker used to carry. The one I remember pictured from JW seemed to be darker, almost kurouchi-esque though. I'm no longer buying new knives, but if I were, this is one I think I'd like to have.

A quick overview of the knife is: thin behind the edge, bevel set on knife when received was amazing, and f&f was some of the best I've seen on a knife in this price range. Performance was between my DT gyuto and gengetsu I received at the same time. Balance was very forward of the ferule, but seemed to go with the knife perfectly. Initial edge degraded fairly quickly, though I have yet to resharpen it, I want to reach for this knife first when I'm making something new.

Thanks Taylor.

Much appreciated.

I have the kochi but Jon put such a nice finish on it that I want to play with it for a bit before making a passaround, but it will happen

Piton, is your initial impression in line with the above?

Thanks Taylor.

Much appreciated.

Piton, is your initial impression in line with the above?

This is a PRETTY knife with great fit and finish. Doesn't flex. Great cutter. No complaints but then again, I will leave that to the passaround opinions

Have the Heiji on the road and the Kochi to go soon. Namaxy is organizing a pass for the Fujiwara/Gengetsu. We had one request for a Nenox. Any other knives people would be inertested in seeing passed around?

Have the Heiji on the road and the Kochi to go soon. Namaxy is organizing a pass for the Fujiwara/Gengetsu. We had one request for a Nenox. Any other knives people would be inertested in seeing passed around?

Shigefusa 240, of course. :D

Have four knives cycling around the country. Was wondering if anyone else had any requests for future passarounds?

Have four knives cycling around the country. Was wondering if anyone else had any requests for future passarounds?

I wouldn't mind a chance to use one of Maksim's Yoshiaki Fujiwara gyutos. They have gotten so many glowing reports on the forum that my curiosity has been piqued.

I wouldn't mind a chance to use one of Maksim's Yoshiaki Fujiwara gyutos. They have gotten so many glowing reports on the forum that my curiosity has been piqued.

Yes! Maybe Maxim could initiate a passaround after his holiday?

Back