Cubitron scratches ???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
I normally use norton blaze belts but I wanted to try some 3M cubitron belts but I have been chasing scratches that just won't come out.Has anyone have this problem?? I have not made a blade in in about a month,I just could out of practice.

005-67.jpg

I know that when you work in a dusty area, lower grit particles from other belts may come in contact with your blade, en make scratches?

Cubitron belts do leave some healthy scratches, but for me they seem to cut better and last longer than the blaze belts. I generally do my 50 grit cubitron then i etch the blade in FC. I then switch to a trizact A300 and angle my belt a bit so i can see what i have and have not gotten. A little bit of extra work, but it helps me get rid of them all.

Mike is the FC etch only for a carbon blade??

If you're going for a mirror polish, the easiest way I've found is 60 grit (cubitron), 220 grit (3m 707E) to take out all the 60 scratches, 30micron AO belt (372L) , 15 mic finishing belt (372L), 1000 grit hand sand against the belt scratch direction, and buff with green chrome. If you're working with a flat platen and can't use a wheel, structured abrasive belts or more time with hand sanding to get up to clean 1000 grit work as a substitute for the micron belts (the 220, 400, 1000 progression works great for me). The micron belts are a plastic film and so thin that their joint leaves a bad bump mark every time it comes around.

The jump from 1000 grit to green chrome on a 3600 rpm buffer (sewn wheel) leaves a fantastic finish. I like the Cubitron belts more than Blaze and just ordered a batch of those 984F "cubitron II" belts with great anticipation. Maybe soon it won't kill a whole belt per 8" blade doing the rough grinding on hardened steel.

Simple answer: if you can't get a scratch out with the grit you're using, you're using too fine a grit. Go back a step or two. It's tough to do, but it's tougher to take a 60 grit scratch out with a ~600 grit belt and not overheat the blade or otherwise mess something up out of frustration.

Latest posts

Back