decent non-stick?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amon-Rukh

Reaction score
Yeah, I know "Non-stick cookware? You must be joking!" Although I've been transitioning to mainly cast iron and carbon cookware of late, I do want to have one or two non-stick pans about for those situations where the latter are less than optimal (mainly thinking guests in the kitchen here). I always prefer quality over quantity, so I don't mind paying a bit more for the product in this case.

I use mine strictly for omelets and it works great. It came from my local restaurant supply shop...Browne-Halco 10" for ~$25 and it does exactly what it is supposed to do. I too have made the transition to mostly steel pans (deBuyer) lately, but it's nice to have a non-stick handy.

In my experience, the non-stick coating that All-Clad uses seems to be more resistant to wear than most other coatings. I have a 12" that has survived seventeen years in a home kitchen. You can save almost half of the retail price by looking for seconds in stores like TJ Maxx.

I don't use non stick pans extensively, but I have tried out a few over the years. The only one that has impressed me is Swiss Diamond. The pan has a nice weight to it and the coating has held up better than all others so far - but we are talking three years, not 17, so maybe All-Clad is the way to go.

Stefan

The Emeril stainless with non-stick coating (not the anodized aluminum) pan works well. It is made by All-Clad. I have two that have seen a lot of use and hold up well.

I can't get the link to work, but Amazon has it.

I have a Calphalon, an All-Clad and a LOOK. I prefer the one made by LOOK hands down.

-AJ

I use deBuyer mineral now, which when well seasoned are very non-stick. Having said that, before the line came out we had several of deBuyer's own non stick line. We still have them and after a dozen years they have held up very well.

I have a Scanpan with the ceramic titanium finish and it is the best non stick pan I have used. It's a dedicated egg pan, everything else either gets cooked in All-Clad, cast iron, or in my Lodge carbon steel skillets.

We use Scanpan Classic and have been pleased with its durability. Our oldest one is about 10 years and we have 3 others of various ages.

I use mine strictly for omelets and it works great. It came from my local restaurant supply shop...Browne-Halco 10" for ~$25 and it does exactly what it is supposed to do. I too have made the transition to mostly steel pans (deBuyer) lately, but it's nice to have a non-stick handy.

+1. Restaurant supply pan and replace when necessary. If you mostly use cast iron and carbon pans, your use of non stick will be minimal (guests, eggs) and they should last years. I'd rather have a $25 pan sitting around collecting dust than a $200 pan collecting dust.

Ive been using calphalon one for a while with acceptable results, I purchassed a scanpan recently with better results....

Although Ive been veering from nonstick for a while now as well!

:running:

I use swiss diamond a lot and like it a lot. Heavy enough, good heat distribution, will sear, cleans up easy, robust. There have been a couple times when someone (never me) has left one on and welded product to the pan - Some soaking, some barkeepers and a little elbow grease and good as new. Prefer it to calphalon ns, and allclad ns. Cuisinart "green" nonstick is neither.

Don't like that standard swiss diamond line is not induction compatible. If thats a consideration I think allclad is.

I used a stir fry pan from circulon for years befor handing it down to my buddy. Granted I babied it like crazy. But 4-5 years later still looked new after years of being the bachelor's to go pan.

Thought I'd post a link since few people have probably heard of them.

http://www.lookcookware.is/about-us

It's an Icelandic company and the one pan I have is awesome. Quite heavy for an aluminum pan. Not easy to find their stuff and not cheap, but again, I can highly recommend them.

-AJ

Latest posts

Back